Faema Urania single group, v.1 Project

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
cuppajoe

#1: Post by cuppajoe »

Any time a guy with a fork lift drops a pallet off, you know things are about to get interesting...

An early Urania came up with the Marte group. Looked complete and in not too bad of condition, so worked a deal out.

David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

cuppajoe (original poster)

#2: Post by cuppajoe (original poster) »

Yes, it did come with the portafilter, but no basket.

Unfortunately there were a few omissions in the auction.Besides the neon tube, which he said was missing, all the hardware for the neon is also missing. Actually, all electrical was stripped from the machine but for an element.

The last image is exactly what greeted me when I pulled the body work off. Missing cap screws, plumbing, Pstat, and wobble weight. As it was supposedly originally on gas, the boiler shield is missing as well. Really bummed about the Pstat,

The boiler, water fill valve, and some other fittings look to have been acid soaked, with numerous other signs indicating a probable abandoned restore. Hopefully folks here can confirm as to what parts look original and which do not.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

CoffeeBar

#3: Post by CoffeeBar »

Wow, she is so beautiful. I like the look even in its original condition. Congratulations :D

ds

#4: Post by ds »

Wow, beautiful. How heavy is that thing, do you need crane to lift it? :D

Paolo

#5: Post by Paolo »

With modern production requirements to skimp on quality control to mass produce something for the minimum amount of money to give a profit to the shareholders...blah blah blah.. something as beautiful as this machine would probably never get a chance to be built.

Bob_McBob

#6: Post by Bob_McBob »

I don't see why a lever machine like this couldn't be produced with current manufacturing methods if there were actually a market demand for it. You can still buy a brand new Faema E61 Legend with the same construction and styling. If you look at the way they build these machines in Italian factories it really hasn't changed as much as you would think since the 50s.

http://www.faema.com/en/machines/macchi ... -legend-s1
Chris

doubleOsoul

#7: Post by doubleOsoul »

Oh hello fella Urania friend ...lol. :P :D
Hey, seriously, if you need prototypes for missing parts, I'm happy to lend parts so you can have pieces machined. Or what ever you need help wise to get this beauty up and running. If course I'll probably stalk your house until they're back in my hands ... just kidding.

drgary
Team HB

#8: Post by drgary »

David,

Glad to see this underway. It does look like an abandoned restoration. I wonder where the seller sourced it so that the parts may still be in a box somewhere, but I would guess you're already all over that!

Meanwhile it's fortunate that Cher has her new old stock Urania within driving distance so you can inspect that (glorious) machine and spec out what you need. Yes, I did see it myself awhile back. It's everything she says it is.

Luigi at Mr. Espresso in Oakland also may have machines for you to inspect and knowhow in restoring these. When I visited their warehouse a few years back they had several classics like this awaiting restoration.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Tom@Steve'sEspresso

#9: Post by Tom@Steve'sEspresso »

[quote="doubleOs. If course I'll probably stalk your house until they're back in my hands ... just kidding.[/quote]
That's brilliantly hilarious!
LMWDP #222
Live graciously
Be kind
Have fun

doubleOsoul

#10: Post by doubleOsoul »

Except I might have been a just a little serious ... :lol: :wink: