The Faema rebuild project - Page 9

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
cannonfodder (original poster)
Team HB

#81: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

I hooked up my cap when I got home. I pressure tested with my air compressor, the right group is the bad one, and the left group holds pressure. So I capped the right HX, double checked all of the fittings and moved it into the kitchen.

So, with much fan fair and pomp and circumstance, it is my great pleasure to introduce the world to....

BARRY, yup, I named the machine Barry. I thought it was fitting since it came from him and he has provided me with an immense amount of help and put up with my constant questions.

After a couple of hours to heat I started to play. No leaks, so the first milestone has been reached. I flushed the boiler a couple of times to clean out any nastiness that remain from the descale.

I think I have enough steam...

I loaded some junk beans into the Mazzer and started pulling shots. The first choked the machine. The second was a gusher, the third was getting there. Keep in mind these are three week old junk beans. This is the batch I used to season my new HotTop roaster. A very solid French roast, very dark and 100% oil coverage, but they will work fine to season the group. It is not pretty but getting there.

The second shot, still pretty ugly.

Later in the same shot. This is a prime example of a shot that starts ugly but 15 seconds into the extraction it visually heals itself. The shot is still bound for the sink, not that I would drink anything that came from these beans.

Well, it is time to power down 'Barry', empty out the drain bucket and go to bed. More tomorrow.
Dave Stephens

Team HB

#82: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

lino wrote:Is there any possibility of repair of the old boiler / heat exchanger?
Seems like it would be worth a try, especially since you have to replace it anyway...

Just a thought.

ciao

lino
I have thought about trying to repair the broken HX. Once I find a source for a boiler, I may try. I do not want to break it beyond use trying to fix it, I can at least use one group for now.
Dave Stephens

HAL9000

#83: Post by HAL9000 replying to cannonfodder »

Great thought but I think this boiler doesn't have a removable "end." If self contained as I suspect I don't think any repair not involving huge braizing of the boiler skin would work.

Too bad on the timing, I recently saw a 2 group faema go for $9.95 in Chicago. Maybe its hxs were farked, but maybe not!

Team HB

#84: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

The ends are not removable. The end caps are welded on so it is one solid piece. I would have the cut one end off, have the HX welded and the end welded back on. I have an acetylene torch and MIG welder, but I would not try to weld something this large. No room for error. I do have a friend who's brother is a welding engineer. If I try a repair, he will be the one to do it.

I occasionally see a similar machine on ebay. If it goes cheap, I may pick one up for parts. One thing I could use is a vacuum breaker valve. There is not one on the machine. There is a capped fitting on top of the boiler where I believe there use to be one. I ordered one but it is too small, it will fit my Isomac but not this. It looks to be a 3/8 hole. If you never turn off the machine, it is not an issue.

I took some good photos last night and moved it to its final resting place in the kitchen. Ran my water line and electric. I need to put in a larger water line, ¼ does not handle the volume this guy will pump.

Anyone have a recommendation as to the static line pressure? I have my regulator set at 40psi but I believe that may be a bit high.

Photos coming tonight.
Dave Stephens

Team HB

#85: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

The project is officially finished, other than some plumbing. So here are a few final photos of the finished product.

And the final resting place...
Dave Stephens

kaioslider

#86: Post by kaioslider »

Congratulations on a successful project. I've really enjoyed following your progress. Beautiful! :D

bushnell_a

#87: Post by bushnell_a »

Congratulations!! It's beautiful!

And now for something completely different...

xtophr

#88: Post by xtophr »

Beautyous machine! I really enjoy following these on-the-fly restoration projects! Well done.

Have you considered something a little less pedestrian than a simple label for the "Barry" machine? I was thinking of something like taking the Faema logo in GIF format and having a vinyl decal cut at a sign shop. They could add "Barry" in a script font similar to how the Faema Special machine is done. A shiny steel-like stock could be used and then placed front and center on the black section above the groups.

Just a thought...

Team HB

#89: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

I had thought about doing a decal, but that little name badge was in the milk crate full of parts when I picked up the machine from Barry. I thought it only fitting that I use it.

I had fits getting the line pressure dialed in, that is on another thread. But it is now dialed in, my real Faema PF and two new double baskets from EPWNW should be at the house when I get home. I roasted up some old beans and have some less than prime milk. I plan on spending the evening pulling practice shots and working on my frothing. I can whip up perfect micro foam on my Isomac and Gaggia, but this beast steams so fast it is a challenge.

There was an old broken handle, crusty portafilter with the machine when I picked it up. I took it apart last night and soaked it in some Joe-Glo. It was spick and span this morning. I can have a new handle turned from some wood stock as a replacement. I think I will cut the bottom out of it and make a naked PF. That actually sounds like another good thread, how to make your own naked portafilter, hmmmm...

I will have to post some naked shots once I get it dialed in, and maybe a few from a not so dialed in machine as well. You learn more from your mistakes.
Dave Stephens

barry

#90: Post by barry »

cannonfodder wrote:I had thought about doing a decal, but that little name badge was in the milk crate full of parts when I picked up the machine from Barry. I thought it only fitting that I use it.
if you ever take it off, don't throw it away. when i first saw it, i thought, "man, that thing looks familiar..." i have a feeling maddie might have found it somewhere and transported it to the milk crate. i think it's a nametag from when i was about five.

--barry "that tag might be older than you are"