Faema Marte restoration

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Sander1981

#1: Post by Sander1981 » Nov 29, 2019, 9:02 am

Although I am still working from time to time on my three-group Faema Urania, which is almost ready besides some very minor things and in need of some fresh chrome, I bought a Faema Marte from someone in Italy that needs a lot of work as well. One mistake I made: I did not make many pictures when I got it, because I immediately started dismantling it out of enthusiasm. Here are some of the few pictures that I have made:

Image

Looked nice from outside, although you can see that the chrome on the front is in very bad shape. The original plexi top came with it, but it did have some cosmetic issues. I ordered a new one from cafelat; they make them very true to the original.

Image

The back is complete for as far as I can tell, and dismantling up to this part is of course very easy.

Image

Image

I will post some updates very soon as I have already started the restoration. My plan is to bring parts of both this machine and my Urania to the chrome company so I can finish them both at the same time.

LObin

#2: Post by LObin » Nov 29, 2019, 9:12 am

Why do you always get the best toys?!
:lol:

Congrats on your recent purchase and consequently new project!

Cheers!
LMWDP #592

Sander1981

#3: Post by Sander1981 » Nov 29, 2019, 11:42 am

LObin wrote:Why do you always get the best toys?!
:lol:
Perseverance :-D
LObin wrote:Congrats on your recent purchase and consequently new project!
Thanks!!

Sander1981

#4: Post by Sander1981 » Nov 29, 2019, 4:00 pm

The bolts of the boiler came out without any hassle. Naturally, it was filled with a ton of scale.

Image

The boiler flange is in a horrible shape. For some reason it was severely corroded and I even found rusty parts of the flange lying in the boiler. I'll have to make a new one somehow.

Image

Looks horrible! Glad I didn't test the machine before dismantling. This was an accident waiting to happen.

User avatar
Paul_Pratt

#5: Post by Paul_Pratt » Nov 29, 2019, 8:59 pm

Looks all original, even has the extra wires for the neon high voltage.

Those boiler end plates are crazy, I've never seen an iron one on a marte but almost every Gaggia Classica/Esportazione or Mercurio I buy has them. I just remake them in brass as they are always too far gone to be safe.

That is exactly the condition I want to buy them in, no one has been in there before and messed around with anything. Most of the work I do now is remaking old parts such as the correct screws and bolts. Great fun.

Sander1981

#6: Post by Sander1981 » Nov 30, 2019, 3:19 pm

Paul_Pratt wrote:Looks all original, even has the extra wires for the neon high voltage.
I actually found someone close by who makes neon tubing by hand. I'm going to ask him to make one for the Marte and for the Urania.

Marcelnl
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by Marcelnl » Nov 30, 2019, 3:23 pm

Sander1981 wrote:I actually found someone close by who makes neon tubing by hand. I'm going to ask him to make one for the Marte en for the Urania.
wow if you can ask him if he also does the tranny...I need both and never got around to finding someone...
LMWDP #483

Sander1981

#8: Post by Sander1981 » replying to Marcelnl » Nov 30, 2019, 3:43 pm

I have been there before I bought the Marte inquiring about a neon tube for the Urania. They come with a small modern transformer in a plastic housing. The company is in the south of Limburg and is called 'Neon73'.

Marcelnl
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by Marcelnl » Nov 30, 2019, 4:41 pm

sounds good, I had a connection to a neon company but sortof lost it by moving
LMWDP #483

User avatar
Paul_Pratt

#10: Post by Paul_Pratt » Nov 30, 2019, 9:53 pm

Marcelnl wrote:wow if you can ask him if he also does the tranny...I need both and never got around to finding someone...
Something like this is fine:

https://www.amazon.com/HB-C02TE-Supply- ... 41&sr=8-10

For such a small length of bulb 1kv works fine.