Faema Marte restoration - Page 9

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
drgary
Team HB

#81: Post by drgary »

laguna_b wrote:How did you treat these "brass" parts? I have an Elektra gold 60s that uses what seems to be a varnish like overcoat on brass. It is a delicate finish and was damaged from citric acid wash overspray. Is this what was used for your machine brass parts or was it a plating?
You may want to use a lacquer thinner to remove the clearcoat, then decide whether to keep the brass polished by hand or to apply new clearcoat, which would be a delicate process that would still be vulnerable to being chipped and scratched.

This might be good as a new topic in the Repairs forum rather than continue discussing it in this Faema Marte thread.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

laguna_b

#82: Post by laguna_b »

Actually it is in the repairs forum but there as a suggestion I look at this thread. I don't think this is a clear coat over polished brass. I think the clear coat is colored lacquer but might experiment with the internal surfaces.

drgary
Team HB

#83: Post by drgary »

Barry, I've posted a response to you in your thread. Here's the link:

Elektra Gold 60s - how to fix damaged gold finish
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Marcelnl

#84: Post by Marcelnl »

I wonder what base material those golden bars on the Marte are made of, on the Urania there is some trim that I suspect to be made of gold anodized aluminium.
LMWDP #483

gyro

#85: Post by gyro »

Sander1981 wrote: What I do miss is the original portafilter sprout from the fifties. If anyone reading this has one on the shelf, please let me know if it is up for sale :-)
This might suit you perfectly...

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Faema-Original- ... Swq2hekuuO

Sander1981 (original poster)

#86: Post by Sander1981 (original poster) replying to gyro »

Thanks for the tip! Fortunately, I have bought a complete Marte-era portafilter some time ago from someone on a German espresso forum, but I do appreciate you thinking about me when you found it.

Kind regards,
Sander