Faema Faemina support shaft and lever increase.

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
redbone

#1: Post by redbone »

Decided to increase the height of one of my Faemina machines by 3-5cm. A second gen version.
In retrospect somethings are better left alone.

The shaft or hollow rod that joins the boiler with base seemed to vary slightly between machines. The longer the rod the more clearance between the group and base. It appears that the shaft was tapered and pressed in place. Not sure if anything beyond that was used or even if any compounds existed at the time to further hold the rod tight from twisting etc.

Using a drill press I plan to drill bottom of shaft narrower by 1mm for 1/3rd from the top section and hammer new stainless rod in. Waiting on metric S.S. hollow rod to arrive. Rod / shaft has to ne hollow to allow for wiring passage from base to boiler.

Here's two pictures of the base where the rod enters. One photo from top and one of the bottom view.

Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

grog

#2: Post by grog »

How much length are you adding? I wonder if these were engineered to consider the force put on that base to boiler shaft during a lever pull. I suppose you would have to add a significant amount to impact that though.
LMWDP #514

Bluecold

#3: Post by Bluecold »

You can't press he old shaft out? The small bolt to the left on the bottom side isn't part of a clamping mechanism?
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

Marcelnl

#4: Post by Marcelnl »

I too wonder what that bolt is for, yet I recall reading various reports from folks trying to get the rod out having great difficulty removing it from the aluminium base.
LMWDP #483

redbone (original poster)

#5: Post by redbone (original poster) »

The tiny bolt to the left is the grounding screw for the electrical wiring. http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/Macch ... C_2945.JPG

I maxed out a car jack trying to remove the installed shaft.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

#6: Post by redbone (original poster) »

Just an F.Y.I. for those toying with a Faema Faemina. In the process in making a longer lever in stainless steel.
Lengthening tapered section of lever for easier pulling. Newly added stiffer piston spring requires added leverage. Did not like look of original pitted lever. Could have cleaned it up somewhat with steel wool. Lengthening rod end would be easier but that would also mean making longer handle.

Found it crazy that Faema would go through the trouble of making a custom thread. They also used an imperial inner thread on the handle side.
Here is a prototype.

My projects seldom make financial sense. I accept this as a hobby beyond the monetary gain.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

Marcelnl

#7: Post by Marcelnl »

redbone wrote:Just an F.Y.I. for those toying with a Faema Faemina. In the process in making a longer lever in stainless steel.
Lengthening tapered section of lever for easier pulling. Newly added stiffer piston spring requires added leverage. Did not like look of original pitted lever. Could have cleaned it up somewhat with steel wool. Lengthening rod end would be easier but that would also mean making longer handle.

Found it crazy that Faema would go through the trouble of making a custom thread. They also used an imperial inner thread on the handle side.
Here is a prototype.
<image>
My projects seldom make financial sense. I accept this as a hobby beyond the monetary gain.
using custom thread and imperial may have all to do with the post war supply situation in Italy, I once long ago worked with an old guy having a steel workshop who ended up with some (HUGE) lathes originating from the Germany WW2 industry simply because no other gear could be bought at the time he set up shop. The Faemina dates back to the early fifties...
LMWDP #483

#8: Post by redbone (original poster) replying to Marcelnl »

Interesting point as I never considered the possibility of post war supply issues in Italy. The custom thread used may be based on what was available in tooling at the time vs trying to make something purposely proprietary. Does make for some challenges in duplication. May even be easier to make new fork or retrofit.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

#9: Post by redbone (original poster) »

Completed extended handle in Stainless Steel with original thread, handle and fork.

Extended handle by 4cm from total length 16cm (without handle) to 20cm requiring 25% less force. Could have gone longer but wanted to maintain some perspective closer to the original look.

Comparing levers.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

Marcelnl

#10: Post by Marcelnl »

looks quite good actually, no issues with tendency to tip forward?

Feazilla is near :D
LMWDP #483