Faema E64 Restoration

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
skayda

Postby skayda » Feb 07, 2018, 10:57 pm

Hello everybody and please welcome me to this awesome forum. My name is Stan, my first post here and first espresso machine ever.

This is a 1971 Faema E64 - 2 group machine coming straight out of a basement after more than 10 years of exile. The plan for it is to get fully restored and partially upgraded if necessary. It will service a small cafe shop we are working on opening soon.

I know the basics of the machine but not much more about it as I couldn't find any user manuals out there. Any suggestions where to find/buy one are highly appreciated. All I managed to find are parts manuals. Fortunately, there are still a lot of spare parts available and the machine is looking quite promising from the inside.

It is already disassembled and I should begin descaling it in the next few days. It came apart really nice, there were only several badly stuck pieces that heat gun and some penetrating fluid broke easily. Nothing like steel and aluminium stuck together - copper is a different thing.

There are few things I completely do not understand and need to know more about.

First of all it has no pump - what should be a good option for this kind of a machine? They told us it's a three-phase machine, what makes it so? Is it the element? If we replace it with 220V (we are in Europe) is it going to work?
I can see both mono-phase and a three-phase cable coming out of the wires box? I'm not really confident with electricity but with extra caution and good advice I can get that done too.

The next thing is the manometer readings - the arrows are crossed at their above maximum values.
The only spot with some green patina is around the bottom of the HX. It looks like a gasket there was leaking.

And finally, before I post some bad pictures of it, I need your help regarding what parts are a must to change and what could possibly be updated without going too far away from what it should be.
We are planning on keeping the original mercury pressostat as long as it's working fine.

ira

Postby ira » Feb 07, 2018, 11:08 pm

In my very limited experience 3 phase machines have 3 heating elements, one for each phase. It should be reasonably easy to wire it so that the one phase goes to all 3 elements. Mine came as one phase, but changing it to 3 phase looks as simple as moving a wire or two and adding a couple of additional wires so each phase only reaches one element. Mine is not a Faema, but from what I can see of the pictures, it's probably the same for yours as it is for mine.

Ira

OldNuc

Postby OldNuc » Feb 08, 2018, 3:41 am

Converting between 3 phase to single phase can present problems with grounding and neutral wiring. If you are not conversant in all of this then on site help is highly recommended.

I have lots of 3 phase experience and it is not something to be learning by feel.

First thing you need to know is how is the 220v power configured. 2 110v lines or a 220v and ground pair. from you location I would suspect your power is setup as 220v and ground. If that is the case then rewiring just he heaters is relatively straight forward as long as the wiring will support the total current. If not then the 220v and ground supply to the heaters will have to be upgraded.

OldAndBigTr3E

Postby OldAndBigTr3E » Feb 08, 2018, 4:36 am

Nice find! :D Always great to see a vintage machine brought back to life and put back in service.
LMWDP#587Pull the lever to claim your prize.I ONLY USE HOMEBARITSA.OUHB Member#1

skayda

Postby skayda » Feb 11, 2018, 11:54 pm

OldNuc wrote:First thing you need to know is how is the 220v power configured. 2 110v lines or a 220v and ground pair. from you location I would suspect your power is setup as 220v and ground. If that is the case then rewiring just he heaters is relatively straight forward as long as the wiring will support the total current. If not then the 220v and ground supply to the heaters will have to be upgraded.

Thank you for all the info. There is a wiring diagram for mono and three phase. I also checked the current element - despite that it's been used as three phase machine the element is rated 220V. I don't really get the diagram there but as you said it should be pretty straight forward to convert it. I put a picture of it here.

OldAndBigTr3E wrote:Nice find! :D Always great to see a vintage machine brought back to life and put back in service.

Thank you! Hope it will turn out good and that old forgotten machine will make some great espressos soon.

So, I managed to disassemble almost everything. From the quick visual inspection the HX is looking fine and there is not much of a scale inside the water tank. Groups will get disassembled on a bit later stage.
For now there is only one badly stuck piece preventing me from sending the machine frame and panels to powder coating. It's the water knob on the front left side, once it gets undone the frame will come a part completely. I began descaling already - the water level gauge was the first piece that went into the citric acid. Btw that citric acid is crazy cheap here ($2 for a kilo) and really easy to obtain.

Here is a picture of the wiring diagram. We are still looking for user manual - if you have any clues, please share it!

OldNuc

Postby OldNuc » Feb 12, 2018, 12:20 am

Can you get a scan of that page instead of a photo? Straight on so I can turn it into english. What are the ratings marked on the element? This does not look that bad as they used the pressurestat to switch the power to the element. Is that the single phase or 3 phase diagram? If that is in color that would also help.

skayda

Postby skayda » Feb 12, 2018, 12:26 am

OldNuc wrote:Can you get a scan of that page instead of a photo? Straight on so I can turn it into english. What are the ratings marked on the element? This does not look that bad as they used the pressurestat to switch the power to the element.

Well, that diagram is actually the cover piece of the wire box of the machine. I will take some pictures of it and the element too and post it here. It's not the original one for sure, as is the manometer also a replacement.

OldNuc

Postby OldNuc » Feb 12, 2018, 12:33 am

It is easy enough to rewire the entire unit and not a bad idea as old wiring tends to up and fail with no warning. The big question becomes the individual heater ratings.

stuartmac

Postby stuartmac » Feb 12, 2018, 7:31 am

And gas too, a rare one, are you going to keep the gas kit? that would make your resale higher if you decide to sell.

skayda

Postby skayda replying to stuartmac » Feb 12, 2018, 3:49 pm

I will keep the gas setup in but definitely not going to use it. I just like to keep the whole thing together.

Sponsored by counterculturecoffee.com
www.counterculturecoffee.com: coffee driven people, people driven coffee