Faema E61 Legend Scale - Page 3

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
coffeehit78 (original poster)

#21: Post by coffeehit78 (original poster) »

Just went with what I thought on the dilution as didn't get a reply.

Tried filling boiler the way suggested but cant get a pull on the water. How long should it take? Had it on 10-15 mins and gauge isn't moving and can't see any of the solution going down.

A bit stumped

erics
Supporter ★

#22: Post by erics »

There are two Faema manuals here: /downloads/

Firstly, you should have used a 'shop-vac' or similar to get as much of the scale out as possible. Then, turn the machine on its side and manually fill the boiler via the heating element opening with warm descaling solution.

Why not contact the manufacturer of the product?
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

#23: Post by coffeehit78 (original poster) »

Hi Eric.

I just took other peoples advice who by the looks and sounds have a great deal of experience. Unfortunately I have no money to get an engineer to sort so have to take on myself come what may.

I thought about putting in the side and did this today, which seemed to come out of all orifices. Now I'm left with an issue of the pump trying to fill the boiler as it not quite full and its just clicking. Going to have to post an SOS thread.

Cheers,
Steve

#24: Post by coffeehit78 (original poster) »

Hello HB members,

I really need some help and advice as I'm a novice and sh** seems to have hit the fan. I probably shouldn't have taken this on with so little experience but just don't have the money for engineers so had to take on myself.

Firstly I started the job just to downgrade the element and after discussions with my friend (a qualified electrician) and members of the group, decided to just take out one of the bars on the original element. I'll post some pics of the wiring I did, just incase this is one of the causes. I took out the top 2 black wires from the element and put them in separate blank terminals (taped up) incase I was to reattached at a later date and replaced the heaver duty original cable with 3 core heat resistant wire.

When I took out the element originally I found there was a lot of scale build up in the boiler so I purchased some Clean Boiler (Sulfamic acid based) as recommended by a member. So originally I thought i'd you the pump to fill the boiler and was having issues with it sucking up the water. Just presuming it was just a lack of pressure, I decided to take the element off and put the machine on it's side (recommended by another member here), which was fine but it did leak out of a few places (didn't seem to drench anything). So as it didn't quite fill up the pump was doing it's usual thing and not sucking up water so I thought I would pull the inlet hose through the machine and out the side so I could raise the water about the pump, which seems to work but started to click horrendously. Turned off the machine and tried reading up on clicking but lot's of people had conflicting ideas so went back to try once more and now the pump doesn't seem to be working and just clicking. So I'm stuck currently with a boiler full of cold Sulfamic Acid, not knowing whether it will descale and no working machine :x

I'll post pics of electrics and video of the clicking.

Would appreciate anyones help.

Thanks in advance Steve

#25: Post by coffeehit78 (original poster) »

Hello folks,

Managed to descale the boiler on my Faema E61 machine in the end. Turned out the pump was seized and came free when the descaler solution worked its magic. I got stuck at dismantling the group heads as I couldn't get in and loosen the nuts holding the group heads in. I decided to leave the majority of the pipes and tubes as didn't want risk damaging them so just took the boiler out and it worked a treat. Managed to blow all the scale out of heat exchange etc.

Problem I have now are that the gauges don't seem to work. I noticed when taking them out the dials had gone right the way round to full extent. I tried moving these but not sure the would help. Didn't seem to. They did move a little bit. Would you suggest just to replace these and are there any solutions or quick fixes? Also wonder if it could be the piping for the manometers?

Another thing I noticed when I put a portafilter blank on was that the water was squirting out. No tight seal. The seals have been replaced.

Any advice I would appreciate.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Jake_G
Team HB

#26: Post by Jake_G »

coffeehit78 wrote: Problem I have now are that the gauges don't seem to work. I noticed when taking them out the dials had gone right the way round to full extent. I tried moving these but not sure the would help. Didn't seem to. They did move a little bit. Would you suggest just to replace these and are there any solutions or quick fixes? Also wonder if it could be the piping for the manometers?
Could you post some pictures of the gauges? I've had luck fixing gauges in the past, but it depends on what's going on with them. When you say they've gone right the way around, do you mean the needles are beneath the stop pin?

A picture is worth a thousand words.
coffeehit78 wrote: Another thing I noticed when I put a portafilter blank on was that the water was squirting out. No tight seal. The seals have been replaced.
Seems likely that the new gaskets didn't seat properly or there was debris beneath (above, technically) them when you installed them. Also possible that they are too thin. When inserting the portafilter, at what position do the handles tighten up? Looking from the top, they should get snug between 7 and 5 o'clock. If they are turning into the 4 o'clock territory, you likely need a thicker gasket or a paper shim behind it.

Cheers!

- Jake
LMWDP #704

#27: Post by coffeehit78 (original poster) »

Hi Jake. Yeah they are tightening about 5/4 o'clock and really have to tighten them to close. It still leaks slightly sometimes and I noticed a leak coming from the lever so maybe need new gaskets. Can you buy the paper shims?

Pics of gauges are below. They didn't move at all this time when it got up to temp

#28: Post by coffeehit78 (original poster) »

As for pics of gasket here they are. The group heads looks pretty dirty. Would a back flush with pully clean it do you recon. Looks like coffee oil, which has been there years :cry:

Also included pics of group parts to see if you think these are worn and need replacing.

There may also be a leak in joint between boiler and element end as can hear a slight psssssssss