Faema Compact overheating - seeking help

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
johnk511

#1: Post by johnk511 »

Hello all,

I have a Faema Compact C85. It heats up as normal, but then just keeps heating up, until the pressure reaches about 1.5, and then it blows the steam release valve and scares the bejeezus out of me.

I wondered if scale was causing an issue. I removed the boiler, stripped it down of the various parts, and completely de-scaled it and the related brass tubing. Feels good to have all that out of there, but didn't solve the problem.

I wondered if the pressurestat wasn't working, so I took one off of my other working machine and replaced it, and that does not solve the problem.

Any other thoughts?
Thanks much in advance
John

Jake_G
Team HB

#2: Post by Jake_G »

You very likely have scale in the capillary tube between the boiler and the pressurestat. Remove that tube and see if you can blow through it. If you can, check for scale blocking the port on the boiler that the tube connects to. If you can't blow through the tube, just soak it in some descale solution (50/50 mix of water and white vinegar works well if you don't have anything else handy) and work the ends of the tube with a toothpick or similar instrument.

Once you can be certain that boiler pressure can make it out of the boiler, through the tube and into the pressurestat, you should be in good shape.

Cheers!

- Jake
LMWDP #704