Found: grind timer, now looking for advice cutting a slot into the Major

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Marcelnl

#1: Post by Marcelnl »

As we are planning a new house (and Kitchen :D ) I am looking for a replacement for the 80ies darkroom timer I am currently using with my Mazzer Major, modified with the Wong chute and SSP burrs. Ideally I am looking for the smallest box possible, so it can be stuck to the side of the grinder so I can drill some holes to hide all the wiring.

long ago I found the (pretty expensive for what it does) Auberins timer but that sat in a clunky case. Is anyone aware of a nice solution, if need be I can cook up a relay with delay timer circuit myself but was hoping there is a ready made decent solution for this already.

found this: https://www.instructables.com/The-7-Cof ... der-Timer/

But would prefer a ready solution, no need for a display if setting the timer works in an easy way and the set time is repeatable and consistent.
LMWDP #483

Marcelnl (original poster)

#2: Post by Marcelnl (original poster) »

I think I found what I was looking for, a 230V timer relay module, cost about a tenner :D
LMWDP #483

Advertisement
Giampiero

#3: Post by Giampiero replying to Marcelnl »

It's a secret or you can tell us more? :lol:

#4: Post by Marcelnl (original poster) »

LMWDP #483

Giampiero

#5: Post by Giampiero replying to Marcelnl »

Thanks

#6: Post by Marcelnl (original poster) »

So the next stage will be to cut a slot in the Major case, the timer is approx 70*40mm and I'm thinking to install it where the PF support used to be installed.

From what I can see from the outside the thickness of the flat aluminum front is approx. 3-4mm, so I guess there are a few options to make a nice cutout...dremel with 32mm disc-probably tedious, a 110mm angle grinder-probably too large, drilling holes and sawing followed by filing-tedious and sloppy unless a lot of filing is involved versus a jigsaw loaded with a saw blade for metal-probably difficult to guide.

Anyone with tips or ideas?
LMWDP #483

randytsuch

#7: Post by randytsuch »

Stick your display in a project box, and figure out how to mount the project box to your Major?

Won't look as nice, but you won't have to make a big hole in your grinder.

If you make a hole, one thing is the display seems to have a fairly wide bezel, which would hide some amount of slop.

I'd probably try to use a dremel with a bit that will cut metal. Carbide should work I think. And then figure out how to make a guide.
But I'm not sure exactly what the surface looks like that you're trying to cut, and I'm far from an expert here.

Randy

Advertisement

#8: Post by Marcelnl (original poster) »

The whole idea is to replace the 80-ies darkroom timer I'm using for a non-external box solution.

Dremel I'll try, I have metal cutting discs hat should work on the Aluminum of the Mazzer. I hear you on the bezel, I'm afraid the timer does not have much bezel to offer but there always is Sikaflex...
LMWDP #483

randytsuch

#9: Post by randytsuch »

I was thinking about this type of bit
https://us.dremel.com/en_US/products/-/ ... ide-cutter

Not sure if this is better than a disc, it can be hard to control a bit like the one above to get a straight line, why I'd try to use a holder and guide to get a straight line. Or maybe a jig saw.

Maybe a combination of these?

robmack

#10: Post by robmack »

It would be better to use the Dremel to get close to your cut lines and then hand file to fit. You'll have better control with filing.
- Robert