Expobar Brewtus IV - 3rd heating element in less than 4 years?

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
slow1911s

#1: Post by slow1911s »

Good morning,

Two days ago I return to my machine (Expobar Brewtus IV, plumbed) to find the PID reading the brew temp dropped 65 degrees. Long story short, it never regained heat. Removed the cover, checked both high-limit switches were not dripped. Checked for continuity - the brew boiler element is blown again.

I purchased this unit (my second one) less than four years ago. It blew the first element about 18 months ago. This is a home unit - average of three duty cycles with flushes in between, daily. Refills normally take less than two seconds (no water pressure issues). The hot water wand is only used for water to heat cups, 1-2x/day. No other appliances have suffered issues of any kind (no voltage issues, circuit issues, etc.). No PID issues - reset the PID after the temp drop just in case - it was set normally.

Since this came up I've learned that Expobar is no longer. And, three elements in less than four years doesn't have me beaming with confidence even if I can get a $75 element. Any thoughts or advice on this? TIA

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

Expobar still exists, as far as I know, though perhaps not being actively imported and marketed in some regions. They're under the CREM umbrella, which was acquired by Welbilt a few years ago.

What was the failure mechanism of the previous elements? What water are you running in the machine?

slow1911s (original poster)

#3: Post by slow1911s (original poster) »

No idea on the previous element. No change in duty/use.

Water is municipal tap with a BWT filter. Our water is slightly to the hard side, but nothing aggressive. Again, when the fill pump turns on, it's only one for 1-2 secs, max.

slipchuck

#4: Post by slipchuck replying to slow1911s »

Is it possible that it isn't filling all the way leaving the element partly exposed to air?

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”

d_leonit

#5: Post by d_leonit »

slow1911s wrote:Good morning,

Two days ago I return to my machine (Expobar Brewtus IV, plumbed) to find the PID reading the brew temp dropped 65 degrees. Long story short, it never regained heat. Removed the cover, checked both high-limit switches were not dripped. Checked for continuity - the brew boiler element is blown again.

I purchased this unit (my second one) less than four years ago. It blew the first element about 18 months ago. This is a home unit - average of three duty cycles with flushes in between, daily. Refills normally take less than two seconds (no water pressure issues). The hot water wand is only used for water to heat cups, 1-2x/day. No other appliances have suffered issues of any kind (no voltage issues, circuit issues, etc.). No PID issues - reset the PID after the temp drop just in case - it was set normally.

Since this came up I've learned that Expobar is no longer. And, three elements in less than four years doesn't have me beaming with confidence even if I can get a $75 element. Any thoughts or advice on this? TIA
Do you regularry drain the boiler or at all?
Can be issue, when you drain the brew boiler, and when refiling it with heater on, can damage it.
Or any air bubble?

#6: Post by slow1911s (original poster) replying to d_leonit »

I use the hot water wand about 2x/day to pre-heat cups or rinse the small milk pitcher. It's not drained.

The refill pump appears to be acting normal given the use on the hot water wand. We have more than adequate pressure.

d_leonit

#7: Post by d_leonit replying to slow1911s »

So as i understand, you change heating element for steam boiler, not for brew boiler?
Then you must be careful, to not empty too much water from steam boiler, because boilers are installed vertically.
The PID element have nothing to do with the steam boiler, the pressostat turning the heating element for steam boiler on/off.

#8: Post by slow1911s (original poster) replying to d_leonit »

No - the brew boiler element is what's bad and what was bad before.

d_leonit

#9: Post by d_leonit replying to slow1911s »

Do the brew boiler have all the time inline pressure or it have magnetic valve build before brew boiler?

JRising
Team HB

#10: Post by JRising »

Are you sure you don't have a leak, either internal or external, letting your brew boiler boil dry and expose the element?
Sure it's possible to go through an element a year, but the odds are bad enough that it is suspicious.