Espresso machine not sucking water?!

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
The Traveler

#1: Post by The Traveler »

I have a 1998 Nuova Simonelli MAC CupV, I purchased it rebuilt, and it was working fine until my power surged and the machine shut off. I think its the pump needs to be reset....or a fuse. I checked the fuses. It turns on and acts like it want to suck water but it won't. Please anything will help.

Mandie

Marcelnl

#2: Post by Marcelnl »

it may be a case of a faulty motor capacitor, from what I see the machine likely has a rotary vane pump which normally needs a starter capacitor or motor run capacitor. Replacing should not be hard nor expensive,

Restoring Nuova Simonelli MAC 2000V Single Group
LMWDP #483

BaristaBoy E61

#3: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

The Traveler wrote:I have a 1998 Nuova Simonelli MAC CupV, I purchased it rebuilt, and it was working fine until my power surged and the machine shut off. I think its the pump needs to be reset....or a fuse. I checked the fuses. It turns on and acts like it want to suck water but it won't. Please anything will help.

Mandie
Welcome to HB Mandie

I doubt that it's a power surge causing the pump capacitor to blow because the pump was not energized during the surge, the machine was off. The run or start capacitors are also typically rated for well above 250 VAC and very often 350VAC to 450VAC so a voltage surge is not likely to take that component out, particularly since you're located in the US and your machine is likely a 120VAC model so it would have to be one hell of a surge. However, it can't be completely ruled out until it's properly tested.

Anything else in the house get damaged? How do you know there was a surge?
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

JRising
Team HB

#4: Post by JRising »

The Traveler wrote:I have a 1998 Nuova Simonelli MAC CupV, I purchased it rebuilt, and it was working fine until my power surged and the machine shut off. I think its the pump needs to be reset....or a fuse. I checked the fuses. It turns on and acts like it want to suck water but it won't. Please anything will help.
So you mean the pump isn't running, right? The issue is not that the pump looks and sounds like it's running but is unable to draw in the water, the issue is that "the machine" appears to turn on, but the pump doesn't run when it should?

Is there any more info you can share? Do you think it "Acts like it want to suck water" because it should be doing a boiler-fill, or because it should be brewing?

Back to the assumption that the pump motor isn't running when it should. With the machine off & unplugged, can you rotate the motor shaft by hand? Just to rule out that the pump or motor is seized.

Let us know what the symptoms are, we can suggest the next step for diagnosis.