Elektra Semiautomatica - Leak and tripping power

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
timmus

#1: Post by timmus »

Hi everyone, firstly apologies for my first post asking for help. Admittedly, I am very much an amateur at repairs so was hoping some more knowledgeable folk can help me. I've tried to research to find an exact answer but its hard with the Elektras!

I've been having some issues with my Elektra Semiautomatica which is a real shame since I really love this machine. I've owned it for around 18 months, with the previous owner also saying that he owned it for 18 months.

So a few months ago, the pressure gauge went up into the red for the first time and started releasing steam. I turned the machine off and let the steam go until it came down. I did some research, descaled the machine and then was thinking of replacing the pressurestat as its a known issue.

Anyway I have been on a holiday for the last 2 months so didn't have time to look at the machine properly. I've now returned and am looking to fix the thing. I turned the machine on and it seemed to work fine for about a week before it started tripping the power. I turned the machine off again and haven't used it since. However the other day I came home from work and the power had tripped again, even with the machine being switched off. So obviously I unplugged it and opened it up to have a look, assuming a leak.

And there is definitely a leak but I'm just trying to figure out where. In the pictures, there's definite signs of leaks/rust, and its all blue around the pipe near the pressurestat. From what I can see (not visible in the pictures) is that there are another 4 or so small screws behind this which I guess are number 4 in the schematic attached? One of these has been wet as its getting white buildup on it. Unfortunately I cant get in that far with the camera.

Anyone have any ideas or experience in where the leak might be coming from? Boiler gasket perhaps?

Thanks for the help, its really appreciated.

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

The overheating pressure stat is a common problem in the Semi. These stats are designed to be at the top of the boiler in steam, not at the bottom, in liquid, so the have a history of rapid failure. Replace the Mater stat with a Yaeger pressure stat (Chris coffee used to sell them). These work more reliably.

The problem is that bits of scale fall into the unit. The cure for this is quite simple. When you refill the boiler, use distilled water. When you are making coffee, use regular water. Since the refill is manual, this is very easy to do.

It looks like you may need to open and clean the fitting from the boiler to the pressure stat, since the blue looks like it might be a leak. Is the tripping a GFI? These can happen for very minor and transient reasons, so fixing the leak may fix this too.

You can drain the boiler by laying the machine on its side and opening the steam valve.
Jim Schulman

timmus (original poster)

#3: Post by timmus (original poster) »

Thanks for your reply Jim. I think I'll definitely try to replace the pressurestat first up.

But I'm still not sure about that leak.

Yes it has started tripping GFCI occasionally but took about a week to get to that point. It also tripped when the machine was switched off.

Also I noticed the green/yellow ground wire looked brown. Would anyone know if the below could cause tripping the GFCI? I touched it and it was a bit wet, but wasn't sure if they might put some grease on it in the factory, or if it was water and rust?

Thanks again everyone

another_jim
Team HB

#4: Post by another_jim »

No suggestions on GFCI; to me they're like a whole box of gremlins, tripping at random. However, if you are tripping even when it's off; I'd look at the wiring from the plug on in, especially at the on off switch. Any mild short from neutral to ground will trip the GFCI, while not interfering with the regular operation.
Jim Schulman

timmus (original poster)

#5: Post by timmus (original poster) »

Ok so a bit of an update, I'm still almost at square one and hoping someone might have some advice. I've replaced the pressurestat , its all set and working but there is still the leak issue.

I wasnt really wanting to pull the machine apart myself, I put it into a repair shop who deal with Elektra machines and of course, they had it running for two full days without any leaks or any tripping issues. So they didn't want to fix anything since it was working fine.

Anyway, as expected I got it home and had some delicious coffee for about 4 or 5 days and then low and behold it tripped the power again. I noticed some moisture/condensation in the switches and knew the problem was back. So I'm thinking its just a leak which is causing the power to trip not a faulty heating element or something since it still works fine before the leak starts.

So as per pictures below i have pointed out where I think the leak may be coming from. There are 4 screws which appear to be heating element screws. The leak may be coming through one of these since it is looking a bit white or corroded, and the streams of blue/green colour seem to start from there.

So my question is, would this be something like a simple boiler/heating element gasket needing to be replaced? And if so what would be involved with getting in to replace this? Just not wanting to put this in for repairs again if the part is only a few dollars and can be done without too much trouble?

timmus (original poster)

#6: Post by timmus (original poster) »

Hi all, sorry again. I just pulled the machine apart thanks to a guide I found on here from a few years ago. To keep it simple, this is what the boiler/heating element looks like. Its quite obviously leaking and looks to be through a couple of screws (top left 10 o clock and right 3 o'clock in picture). My question, does this look like it would be just the element gasket causing this?

When I pulled the heating element out, the gasket seems in ok condition however one side was a little loose (on the left side in picture), but I'm not if I caused that just by pulling the element out and it was stuck to it.

Thanks again to anyone who can help, I'm learning a lot doing all this.

another_jim
Team HB

#7: Post by another_jim »

Actually, I think you're the first to completely strip the machine down -- it's not a very friendly macchine for this kind of project. Please keep posting.
Jim Schulman

timmus (original poster)

#8: Post by timmus (original poster) »

Just updating for the sake of helping someone else in the future. Once I finally get it working completely leak free I will post more pictures.

I've got the hang of pulling this machine apart now (unfortunately). I've been tinkering for what seems like an eternity. I got the edges of the heating element cleaned up from all the hard calcified bits, cleaned the rim around the base of the boiler, bought a new element gasket, put it in with some sealant type stuff I was given by the place I bought the part from and thought I was good to go. They also checked the heating element on their multi metre which came up as ok. I put the machine back together in reverse order and made a couple of coffees (which were still excellent as always from this machine). I did notice a tiny leak coming from the brass end of the pump, just tiny drops, so I tightened up the adapter and the braided silver hose where they join. Still no leaks from the boiler as yet so that's one good sign. Powered it up again and made another coffee, still slightly leaking from the pump so I added some teflon tape to the threads where the leak was coming from.

I went to go turn the machine on again and bam! Trips the power again. So still not sure if the pump leak is fixed.

I unplugged both heating element wires and switched it on again and the machine turns on. The heating element connectors appear quite yellow compared to all the others which are very much white. I'm not sure this is normal?

Plugged them back in again and it tripped again.

I guess my heating element is broken after all even though it works when I can get the machine to turn on without tripping. Otherwise I will just have to fork out for the new element. Any other ideas?

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by samuellaw178 »

Wish I could be of more help (never used an Semiautomatica).

But from the symptom, it sounds like moisture has gotten through the insulation and into the terminal rod (?). Check out Orphan Espresso's guide :

http://www.orphanespresso.com/Olympia-a ... 620-1.html

timmus (original poster)

#10: Post by timmus (original poster) »

Thanks that may work, but I just went the route of getting a new one. I'm tired of having no coffee at home!

Anyway I have installed the new element, tested it tonight for the first time. Great shot for a first effort in a while. There doesn't appear to be any water leaking but will trial it over the next week and keep monitoring.

There was some hissing coming from under the reservoir causing condensation and dripping, assuming the safety or vacuum valve, but these are new so will try again tomorrow.