Elektra Microcasa a Leva (1980) Repairs

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
BrendanB

#1: Post by BrendanB »

Hi Everyone, I live in Rome & bought a second hand MCal machine. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to approach repairing it as I'm a total newbie, other than some stuff I have read on this forum. The only problem I can discern so far is that there appears to be a leakage which looks like it is from one of the inputs to the heating element there is quite a bit corrosion. The machine heats up fine and shuts off at max pressure but there is quite a bit of water leaking out. I presume I should first break down and replace the o rings and gaskets, any advice on how I should approach getting it up and running would be greatly appreciated!! I also added a couple of photos. Thanks! :?

Sw1ssdude

#2: Post by Sw1ssdude »

Cool machine!

To be honest, i have no idea about this midel, but i saw a lot if coverage about it in the forum.

How i see it:
It has only a few features, which is good, so not too much can break.
I would:
Disassemble it
Descale it
Clean/polish it
Reassemble it
Hunt down all leaks from reassembling
Be done, or, fix the leaks
Reward yourself with coffee

For heating elements, you usually can counter them from the inside to tighten the seal. Which usually means to take out the heating element. Which means to take the whole machine apart. Which means to best replace all the gaskets.

But don't be discouraged, this shouldnt be too complicated, and eventually rewards you with a functioning machine, and every coffee you make will be underlayed with the thought of 'i did it'!

As i said, i dont know the elektra, but i once did a pavoni, which is similar, apart from having no spring in the group. But i can give some tipps:

Unplug it, before you tinker on it.

Take a lot of pictures. depending on time, complications or determination this project could take a while, and in the end its sometimes hard to remember how everything goes back together.

Copper and brass clean up nicely with special creams, but they scratch easily, dont use the rough side of a sponge or sandpaper.
Clean everything with soapy water. These machines often collect a lot of grease in kitchens. Soap will degrease it, making descaling easier (on the outside).

Dont use drain wrenches, unless you are desperate, and even then, be aware that you might cause permanent damage to parts.

Before you throw anything away, make sure you got a replacement part or assure that you will get it. Sometimes old gaskets are leaky, but useful as a stencil to cut a new one, if you cant buy it anymore.

Watch out for the spring in the group. Compressed springs are extremely powerful, so handle them well thought and with care.

Use silicone grease for the new gaskets. Its foodsafe.

So, get your tools and get it on! Post some pictures, and if any specific questions arise, i bet there is someone here who knows these machines inside out.

Buona fortuna!
Lean Mean Caffeine Machine

Sw1ssdude

#3: Post by Sw1ssdude »

check out this thread:

Can this Elektra Microcasa a Leva be restored?

it turns out that the elektra apparently has o ring gaskets around their heating elements. My olympia had no gaskets at all, and relied on the deformation of the copper tubing (it basically got pinched together, and therefore needed more torque to seal properly, and therefore has a counter nut on the other side to torque it down without twisting the heating element).

Still, if the o ring leaks, its best if you replace it, and for that you have to take the heating element out of the boiler.
Lean Mean Caffeine Machine

redbone

#4: Post by redbone »

Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549