ECM Synchronika leak

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
adcampo

#1: Post by adcampo »

I've had my Synch for a couple of years. It started having a small leak from the bottom. My machine is plumbed for water and drain. Seems to pool when machine is on. Less to none when powered off. Opened it up today and I couldn't see any obvious areas where it could be coming from. Leak seems to be slightly left around the rear edge of the drain pan. Clean water. I opened a service ticket with Clive where I bought it.

Also, a separate issue. Sometimes there is a small drip and some steam creeping out from the steam wand where it attaches to the machine face plate. I don't think it has anything to do with the other leak, but I would be wrong.

Any ideas?

BaristaBoy E61

#2: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

An exploded diagram of your machine would be very useful, particularly to understand the steam spigot. You will have to open up your machine again and examine the areas above the leak very carefully for even the tiniest evidence of a leak, perhaps around the boiler element where a gasket might be leaking. You should also closely inspect pipe joints and solenoid valves for tell tale signs of water, either wetness or scale would be an indicator.

Even though your machine is direct plumbed, check the reservoir to see if water is flowing backwards into the reservoir. Check the valve to select reservoir or direct plumbed as well.

It can be tricky but you'll find it with a sharp eye and some patience.

Post back.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

JRising
Team HB

#3: Post by JRising »

It seems to me that if the water is showing itself right there in the hole through which the valve passes and running down the face of the machine, then the threaded end of the valve body is cracked. This happens in shipping when something smashes against the machine or box and forces the valve downward, basically breaking it off where it is mounted. Strange that it has happened to a 2 year old machine without you knowing of an impact.

I could be wrong, though. You will have to find out exactly what has broken and replace or fix it. Allowing that water to trickle down or bead on the face of the machine will leave a stain in time.

Plinyyounger

#4: Post by Plinyyounger »

At two years old, I'd check the nylon/plastic tee between the boilers. They tend to get brittle and crack.
Family, coffee and fun.

jrham12

#5: Post by jrham12 »

Dario,

I had that same leak from behind the steam valve on my synchronika... Here is what I posted on another thread regarding what I found, which o-ring needed to be replaced and which one from McMaster-Carr I used:
viewtopic.php?p=801626#p801626

Regarding the water leak on the counter, I'd first check the plastic tee fitting that connects the vacuum breaker valve and the OPV to the discharge fitting on the front of the machine (as recommended by Plinyyounger above). Mine was still in good condition but I replaced it with a brass tee fitting as a preventative measure.

Josh

adcampo (original poster)

#6: Post by adcampo (original poster) »

Thanks guys, I'll take a look. Appreciate the help.