ECM Synchronika Complete Rebuild - Page 4

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Deephaven

#31: Post by Deephaven »

Any generic RO system will be fine. Fundamentally RO systems have a sediment, carbon, and RO filter. The sediment removes junk so that the RO filter doesn't get clogged. Carbon helps pull off odors/flavors out, VOC's and chlorine from your other treatment. RO then purifies the water. For coffee you'd need a 4th stage. A marble or calcite "filter" to add back in some calcium. Anything more than that isn't necessary and anything generic is fine. I bought mine all used and and put new filters in them. I added a pump to improve efficiency and get it up to 60psi so that I could actually fill a glass with it. It also of course allows for a slightly higher preinfusion. If you have more pressure you can always reduce it, but raising it requires a pump.

snjsanders (original poster)

#32: Post by snjsanders (original poster) »

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. I have been focusing on the comments about the water being the issue so I brought a more accurate TDS meter and Ph tester. The Ph tester is the Apera Ph 20. I really like it because it comes with calibration fluid to calibrate the devise. It confirms that the filtered Ph is low at 5.9. The unfiltered tap Ph is 7.8, so it seems the BWT Bestmax filter is a really poor design.

Taking all the readings and using the La Marzocco water calculator, the test results confirms the water is definitely corrosive.

I am now considering which RO system to install under my sink. The two that I am looking at is the Pentair 4 stage Fresh Point RO and the iSpring RCC7AK. Both have an remineralization cartilage with them. Anyone have any experience with either?

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#33: Post by Nunas »

I don't know about other brands, but I have two iSpring systems, one at home and one at the cottage, and they have never given a moments trouble. Also, they use generic filters, so replacements are readily available and not expensive.

JRising
Team HB

#34: Post by JRising »

Pressino wrote:I'd say the problem was your very high chloride level in the water. No way to get rid of it, except use reverse osmosis or use bottled distilled water mixed with non-scaling minerals. Chloride is highly corrosive to both steel and cupric alloys.
Looks like Pressino got it in post #12. I wouldn't say the BextMax is a poor design, but it is a hydrogen exchange softener, certainly a poor choice in that location. A BestProtect (sodium exchange) might be a better choice if you haven't sworn off BWT completely.

borrik

#35: Post by borrik »

Just curious how did the rest of home equipment do? If author's location is still one that listed in the profile, this place was awarded for best drinking water in it's region(!)
https://www.jupiter.fl.us/1561/Current- ... ity-Report

snjsanders (original poster)

#36: Post by snjsanders (original poster) replying to borrik »

When I was planning on buying an espresso machine I was highly biased by the fact that everyone says how "good" the water is in Jupiter. Jupiter tap water has Chloide of 112, TTD of 235, and Ph is 7.5. These numbers are not that bad, but the BWT Bestmax made the water results worse. The Bestmax dropped the TTS to 177, the Clorides remained the same at 112 and it dropped the Ph to 5.9

I am not an expert on water chemistry and its affect on espresso machines, but I can say with certainty, that those numbers have not worked for my EMC.

slybarman

#37: Post by slybarman »

borrik wrote:Just curious how did the rest of home equipment do? If author's location is still one that listed in the profile, this place was awarded for best drinking water in it's region(!)
https://www.jupiter.fl.us/1561/Current- ... ity-Report
in my experience, that is sort of a low bar, as Florida tends to have pretty crappy water in general.

homeburrero
Team HB

#38: Post by homeburrero »

snjsanders wrote:When I was planning on buying an espresso machine I was highly biased by the fact that everyone says how "good" the water is in Jupiter. Jupiter tap water has Chloide of 112, TTD of 235, and Ph is 7.5. These numbers are not that bad, but the BWT Bestmax made the water results worse. The Bestmax dropped the TTS to 177, the Clorides remained the same at 112 and it dropped the Ph to 5.9
I think the Town of Jupiter utility gets good marks because of their ability to make horrible water quite drinkable. They start with water that periodically has high salt water incursion and get the salt (and chloride) level below what people can taste as briny. But that 112 mg/L chloride ion still presents a serious corrosion risk issue for espresso machines.

Re BWT, to be fair, the Bestmax is a decarbonizer, a popular and effective type of treatment for reducing scale risk in espresso equipment. Other popular decarbonizers include the Everpure Claris, Mavea/Brita Quell, and Pentair ESO7, which are also called hydrogen ion exchange softeners or WAC resin softeners. These reduce both hardness and alkalinity, and acidify the water - - that's one reason they are effective in scale reduction. But they are known to be a poor choice if you have low alkalinity and an especially poor choice if you also have significant chloride ion in your water.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

Deephaven

#39: Post by Deephaven »

RO systems are all the same, the replaceable filters are different however. I would buy the cheapest one you can find while including the price of the filters you need and go from there. Any brand RO membrane is pretty much ok and won't change the water and the prefilters are pretty generic as well.

bobkat
Supporter ♡

#40: Post by bobkat »

To the OP Steve......have you considered R Pavlis water....and doing away with the plumbed in idea? Yes...you have to manually fill the tank...and yes you have to source distilled water and potassium bicarbonate....but the end result is you won't have the corrosion issues you have experienced. I am not sure of your set up placement. I am fortunate to have my Sync on a counter with real high ceilings and no obstruction to the water tank. Also, I am wondering what effect your water has to your plumbing....and other appliances.