ECM Synchronika boiler temperature sensor leak

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
elsol

#1: Post by elsol »

The temperature sensor on my Synchronika steam boiler has a small leak. While heating up it will blow some steam and a small amount of water (which evaporates quickly). As it heats up the leak reduces to the point its there but barely noticeable. I've got the machine open from doing some other maintenance.

Is it appropriate to just put some teflon tape on this to seal it up? Or is teflon not a good idea for this temp?

dsc106

#2: Post by dsc106 »

I am new to this, but from my understanding, no problem at all. Recommended even. On the Wholelattelove videos, they use teflon tape to reseat all screws/threading on the boilers (including steam boiler). I just used teflon tape on my water level sensor probe and my vacuum relief probe.

Advertisement
oralia80

#3: Post by oralia80 »

Word of caution here. My Synchronika did the same thing. I also used teflon tape, but because the temperature sensor goes into the boiler some of the tape heated, melted into the boiler and was coming out of the group head for a few weeks following. So I would recommend just thread taping the top part of the threads and not the WHOLE thing.
"new grinder? Tell me more..."

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Nunas »

Word of caution here. My Synchronika did the same thing. I also used teflon tape, but because the temperature sensor goes into the boiler some of the tape heated, melted into the boiler and was coming out of the group head for a few weeks following. So I would recommend just thread taping the top part of the threads and not the WHOLE thing.
There's something wrong here; the melting point of PTFE tape is very high; it does not even begin to degrade at temperatures below 200 degrees C. However, I agree with your suggestion. It's called PTFE tape gasketing. One puts just a single wrap around the threads, or even a bit above the lowest thread. Then, as the wraps go around, move them up on the threaded portion, ending by doubling the tape over near the top and wrapping several extra turns. Now, when you reinsert the fitting, the single wrap of PTFE makes the fitting turn in very easily, but as the fitting is turned in farther, the thicker wraps farther up begin to bunch up. When done, there will be what looks a bit like an O-ring of tape at the top of the fitting.