ECM Rocket 2006 - Not heating

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
EddieJE

#1: Post by EddieJE »

Hi there folks. Some time since my last issue, but I am having issues again with the boiler not heating.

I have been following various threads on here and have concluded (I think rightly) that the water level in boiler is not sufficient to engage the element. So am focussing on the water level probe.
Having followed some other tips and eliminated some other issues, I have disconnected the terminal in the probe, and weirdly as soon as I disconnect it, the pump fires to life to fill the boiler. This feels counterintuitive, as I expected that it would only work once I touched the terminal onto the boiler body itself?

So, I am looking for assistance guidance as to what I do next? Does this mean the ECU is knackered, or is there something else I can do?

I am happy the element is still OK (not an open circuit) when testing so if can fix the boiler fill situation - should be good to go :)

Cheers

JRising
Team HB

#2: Post by JRising »

EddieJE wrote: Having followed some other tips and eliminated some other issues, I have disconnected the terminal in the probe, and weirdly as soon as I disconnect it, the pump fires to life to fill the boiler. This feels counterintuitive, as I expected that it would only work once I touched the terminal onto the boiler body itself?
That's exactly how it should be working, when grounded, the controller knows the boiler's full, either if the wire is touching the boiler or if the wire is touching the probe that is touching the water that is touching the boiler. You've effectively proven the boiler-fill circuit is working.

As for not heating, with the machine un-plugged check the safety (or both if there are) thermostats, if the little button clicks, you've reset it.
Still machine un-plugged, check resistance across the heating element.

EddieJE (original poster)

#3: Post by EddieJE (original poster) »

Thanks for that.
Yes have checked the heating element for resistance and that Ok ...c40ohms. Even when plugged in and operating no power to the element - no power getting to it.And the thermostat also checked and working ok.
I replaced the ECU only 2 yrs ago and authentic Rocket part but now reckon that is my only solution, again!
Any other thoughts?
Cheers

BaristaBoy E61

#4: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Perhaps it's a boiler temperature probe.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

JRising
Team HB

#5: Post by JRising »

EddieJE wrote:Thanks for that.
Yes have checked the heating element for resistance and that Ok ...c40ohms. Even when plugged in and operating no power to the element - no power getting to it.And the thermostat also checked and working ok.
I replaced the ECU only 2 yrs ago and authentic Rocket part but now reckon that is my only solution, again!
Any other thoughts?
Cheers
I don't like suggesting people work on a live machine when I don't know their comfort level...

If you are comfortable working with a multimeter and are certain you know what you're doing, check voltage at the element, and trace all the way back along the black wire to whichever component is the 240VAC drop, could be the pressostat... If you get all the way to the box, then start tracing the blue back to where it joins a working component (you know other components, pump, solenoid) work, so you know neutral is good. Probably the only component you'll need to test on the blue path will be the safety t-stat. I dunno, I only know North American Giottos... If you follow both conductors back to the box and still don't have 240VAC, then it's probably the relay (the large one) on the powerboard. I hope it turns out to be the safety t-stat.

If you aren't sure about using a multimeter to test inside a live machine, stay safe, have someone that knows what they're doing look at it.

BaristaBoy E61

#6: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

JRising wrote:I don't like suggesting people work on a live machine when I don't know their comfort level...

If you aren't sure about using a multimeter to test inside a live machine, stay safe, have someone that knows what they're doing look at it.
+1

This is very important advice for all.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"