ECM Mechanika IV Professional blockages

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
mhoy

#1: Post by mhoy »

About 1.5 years ago, I packed up and moved and the espresso machines got boxed up. We also just finished a complete main floor remodel down to the studs and back, so I now have a coffee bar. :-)

Upon unpacking and setting up my ECM M-IV and turning it on, I was dismayed with what is occurring. The steaming wand works, but the hot water dispenser and the group head no longer pump out any water. Upon engaging the group head pump, I see that pressure builds up in the head from the pressure gauge, but no water comes out. The hot water wand also doesn't have any water come out.

I suspect the hard water has left a blockage in the plumbing somewhere. I'll likely be opening things up and seeing what happened soon, but thought I'd ask here if anyone else has had this happen.

The following is what I think my machine has inside (I have not taken it apart yet).
https://wiki.wholelattelove.com/images/ ... iagram.pdf

Note: The Elektra T1 I rebuilt 15 years ago is still in a box as I didn't put plumbing into this coffee bar. :-(
Elektra T1 - #771 built in 2000 is now mine

Advertisement
BaristaBoy E61

#2: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

You might need to do a complete citric acid descaling.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

JRising
Team HB

#3: Post by JRising »

Very likely blocked at the gicleur.

If there's no flow at all, you'll need to poke a pin through the gicleur to get some flow, then you can descale the entire circuit.

mhoy (original poster)

#4: Post by mhoy (original poster) »

I'll try and get some flow going, but currently it's entirely blocked except for the hot water wand.

I kind of expect I'll be taking things apart but maybe I'll get lucky. At least it won't have the scale that was in my Elektra. :-0

mhoy (original poster)

#5: Post by mhoy (original poster) »

I finally got a large enough wrench to fit onto the mushroom. I picked up two Irwin Vise-Grip smooth jaw pliers, one 10", the other 8".

A 1 5/16" wrench was too small for the mushroom and I used the 10" Irwin smooth jaws on it. I wrapped the nut with black tape and put some blue tape on the jaws and got the mushroom off, it was on pretty tight.

The smaller 8" pliers fit the flats on the lower brew group cylinder (the longer metal pipe with male threads).

With the mushroom out, I heated up the boiler and turned on the pump, I observed that water did flow into the the group head and that it drained when I turned off the pump.

I then had to put the mushroom into a vice and the 8" on the flats of the lower brew group cylinder to get to the gicleur. I soaked all the parts that had scale in a mild hot citric acid bath until they were clean and then rinsed them.

I then re-assembled the mushroom assembly: put the stainless screen into the nut, then carefully thread on the part the connection injection pipe (it houses the gicleur). I also put food safe Lubri-Film plus on all threads.

Now I get hot water through the group head and steam out the steam pipe.

However, I don't get hot water through the hot water wand, so I have more work ahead of me.

mhoy (original poster)

#6: Post by mhoy (original poster) »

I took apart the hot water valve and found a small piece of rubber had broken off from the end.

I pulled out the rubber plug and reversed it as the other end isn't as munged. Unfortunately I still have no hot water out of the wand and there must be a blockage further up the pipe. I'll have to do further diagnostics another day.

JRising
Team HB

#7: Post by JRising »

FWIW, the part number for that rubber is P6000.2 which has been replaced by P6000.8.
I'll bet that the problem now is that some of that rubber has gotten lodged in your wand. It wouldn't travel upstream into the valve any further than the valve-spring can push it, but it would try and fail to travel downstream.

Advertisement
BaristaBoy E61

#8: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

JRising wrote:I'll bet that the problem now is that some of that rubber has gotten lodged in your wand.
+1

A very safe bet!
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

mhoy (original poster)

#9: Post by mhoy (original poster) »

No such luck. :-( I just took the hot water wand off and I can blow through it, so no blockage there. I then took the valve out and could see no blockage in the 90 degree turn.

I then turned on the machine and while I can get steam out the wand, the hot water pipe (with no valve in place) has no water coming out.

mhoy (original poster)

#10: Post by mhoy (original poster) »

System has steam pressure which should have hot water pouring out. :-(