ECM Mechanika temperature issues

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
aragorn764

#1: Post by aragorn764 »

Hi all, new guy here. I have owned the ECM for about 5 years now, great machine, built like a tank, in the past few months i have been starting to get issues with it. The main issue is the following: on a cold startup it will sometimes try to get up to temp but not get there, this does not happen all the time, just sometimes, as I am typing this the machine is "trying", the element turns on for 5 seconds and shut down for 5mins, i can clearly hear it. I have changed the pressure stat and pump, cleaned and descaled multiple times...from the googling i have done, the element is rarely the issue, but i have no idea at this point, PLEASE HELP! Thanks

JRising
Team HB

#2: Post by JRising »

What does the steam pressure gauge read?

If it got up to pressure while the pump was filling the system, then the vacuum-breaker could be stuck shut. Let the pressure out through the steam wand and see if it begins behaving properly. If so, clean and/or replace the vacuum breaker valve.

aragorn764 (original poster)

#3: Post by aragorn764 (original poster) »

Thanks for the reply, the vaccum breaker valve functions properly. It finally came up to pressure, it took 1:30h to get there, it heats up in 5 sec increments! It is for sure related to the element but i was under the impression that an element either works or does not, nothing really in between...

JRising
Team HB

#4: Post by JRising »

With the machine un-plugged measure the resistance across the element... You should get something from 11 to 18 ohms. I think your element is both burnt out (filament is burnt through) and cracked (moist inside the shell) so there is still some current passing from the element through the boiler water to ground allowing it to heat terribly slowly. If this is the case, the machine is a bit dangerous if it's not plugged into a GFCI protected outlet.

#5: Post by aragorn764 (original poster) »

I was reading on another thread that it might be a TS stall? I will undo the inlet pipe that goes into the group head to see if its clogged. What do you guys think?

#6: Post by aragorn764 (original poster) »

Well, i am embarrassed to say that i found the issue...my crock pot and toaster were plugged into the same circuit...and the crockpot was turned on...so it was stealing most of the wattage! Thanks anyway for all who chimed in! Fml

#7: Post by aragorn764 (original poster) »

Problem came back, it wasnt the power issue after all...how difficult is it to replace the element in those?

JRising
Team HB

#8: Post by JRising replying to aragorn764 »

It's not bad at all. Once you have confirmed that it is the element, you'll be half-way done. Why do you say "It heats in 5 second increments, and that you hear it"? Can you actually hear the pressostat switching off before the machine is anywhere near boiling temperature? Or, are you seeing the light switching on and off when the machine is far from boiling? If so, are you confirming that the boiler is below boiling temp by opening the steam valve, or are you trusting the gauge?

I would wait until you confirm the issue before replacing parts. What's the resistance across element when cold? What's the resistance across the pressostat when cold? Can you find continuity from either side of the element to ground? etc.

#9: Post by aragorn764 (original poster) »

I can hear the element coming on, a typical sound of water heating up, the pressure star remains on, it is brand new, no audible sound apart from when i start it up. If i run the pump and do a backflush sometimes it will "wake up" the element for a few seconds...the whole thing is super weird...it was working fine yesterday! So random its driving me insane

#10: Post by aragorn764 (original poster) »

The worst part for me is that i am actually a professional mechanical engineer! I am losing sleep over this! To answer some previous questions, it is indeed not reaching boiler pressure, nothing coming out from either steam or water wand, vacuum breaker valve not engaged but working fine...it all points to the element i just dont understand how it can be random like that...