ECM Giotto - restoration

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
IKennedy74

#1: Post by IKennedy74 »

I recently got an old ECM Giotto from my work. They haven't touched it in years and the managers that knew anything about it are long gone. Tried turning it on, and the loud pump came on, but the water wasn't getting pumped to fill the boiler. I am new to this but am interested in getting deeper in the technician side of things. Any advice for diagnostic?

cuppajoe

#2: Post by cuppajoe »

One of my first projects was a Giotto. Well built machines and relatively easy to work on. Here's a link to my rebuild thread - ECM Giotto Project
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

erics
Supporter ★

#3: Post by erics »

Disconnect the heating element immediately. You don't need heat to solve a boiler fill issue.

Looks like it could be a "fun" project.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

IKennedy74 (original poster)

#4: Post by IKennedy74 (original poster) »

cuppajoe wrote:One of my first projects was a Giotto. Well built machines and relatively easy to work on. Here's a link to my rebuild thread - ECM Giotto Project
Thank you!! That is very helpful

#5: Post by IKennedy74 (original poster) »

erics wrote:Disconnect the heating element immediately. You don't need heat to solve a boiler fill issue.

Looks like it could be a "fun" project.
Good to know! Are there any other dangers I should know about? I am very trepidatious atm.

#6: Post by IKennedy74 (original poster) »

The vacuum breaker valve needs replacing. It leaks steam unless I tap the pin into place. I can just replace it with any old 1/4' breaker valve, right? One like this?: https://www.espressocare.com/products/i ... cuum-valve