ECM Giotto Classic steam wand replacement

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Chtr_112

#1: Post by Chtr_112 »

Hello Home Baristas,

I have a question regarding the steam wand on my newly acquired ECM Giotto classic. The chrome has worn off the steam wand and I was wondering if there is a suitable replacement? I am currently thinking the Rocket R58 steam wand could be a possible replacement, given the nature of how the ECM Giotto steam wand attaches to the body.

JRising
Team HB

#2: Post by JRising »

In my memory, all of the ECM Giottos had their steam valves inside the machine, with the knob protruding through one hole in the front panel and the wand swivelling through another. They are quite different from the Rocket machines which have the valve on the outside of the front panel.
Perhaps I'm wrong and there may have been some final model ECM Giottos around 2006 to 2007 that had external valves before ECM stopped making them. If you're suggesting switching from internal valves to external valves, it would be quite a lot of work.

Chtr_112 (original poster)

#3: Post by Chtr_112 (original poster) »

My ECM giotto has internal steam and hot water valves. I would like to keep the internal valves and just attach a new steam wand onto the existing thread for the current steam wand. I just don't know what steam wands might fit the threads and be the right length to fit the machine's height.

homeburrero
Team HB

#4: Post by homeburrero »

I believe your part number is C277700401 - Attaches to the fitting on the front of the machine with a M 13x1.25* Female nut and has an o-ring seal on the tube. The steam tip is M10x1 Female.

Rocket parts might have it, possibly also Seattle Coffee Gear.

This looks like it might be the one but you'd want to call to make sure: https://www.cafeparts.com/Giotto-Steam- ... duct/14640

*Edit addition: looking closer I think it may likely be a 1/4" BSPP, typical on Italian machines. 1/4" BSPP in metric measurements is about 13.16 mm and 19 tpi (1.33 mm pitch).
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

Chtr_112 (original poster)

#5: Post by Chtr_112 (original poster) »

That Is the same steam wand I currently have, is there ability to attach one with the same thread size? What is the thread size of the steam wand in millimeters?

JRising
Team HB

#6: Post by JRising replying to Chtr_112 »

That one that HomeBurrero suggested is the correct one. M13 is the thread size (so like 12.96mm). Yes, any pre-fab wand that is designed to fit the swivel-connection (not a ball and socket connection) will also fit so long as the bends are all correct (terminating at 90 degrees from the origin), if others do exist pre-made, they will be rare. Manufacturers don't use those swivels on good, modern machines. But as you see, they're still available.

homeburrero
Team HB

#7: Post by homeburrero »

Besides getting the threaded fitting right, you have the issue of how it seals into the fitting, and of course the length and the bends of the tube. It only swivels around a fixed plane.

Looking closer I think the thread pitch is closer ro 19 tpi than it is to 1.25 mm, so now thinking likely is a 1/4" BSPP. Just go for that exact replacement and you'll have no worries. Hopefully it comes with the orings you need.

Pic below has an ECM Giotto (circa 2002) wand on the left and an old style europiccola wand on the right showing how different wands can have very different sealing ends.

Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h