EBay Musica - buyers remorse?

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
North Man Coffee

#1: Post by North Man Coffee »

Good evening all,

I hope everyone's well.

Long term viewer, first time poster here.

I've decided to take the plunge, again, on home espresso but opted for a secondhand Simonelli Musica (2014 tank fed) for eBay for the princely sum of £360.

It arrived today, and whilst it looks good and as described, it appears to have issues. The pressure seems happy, and the water is very hot, however; the water flow will run okay for 3-5 seconds before turning to steam and the flow stopping altogether - then repeating this process. It's possible to get coffee, but it's not tasty.

I've seen some wonderfully insightful repair advice on here so I hope I can plunder the collective coffee brain here for potential fixes.

All the best,
Oakley

TheCatsMeow

#2: Post by TheCatsMeow »

Hi Oakley, welcome!

What is the pressure gauge on the unit sitting at when fully heated? And does the pressure drop when you're brewing?

I don't know much about this machine, but maybe I can help get some information and someone else can chime in with a proper fix :D

North Man Coffee (original poster)

#3: Post by North Man Coffee (original poster) »

Hello there,

Thanks for the speedy reply, good to know other people are up and about and thinking of coffee.

Sits rock solid at about 1.25 bar, bang on the 6 o clock position on the gauge and doesn't drop unless I open all the taps at once really.

Many thanks :D

TheCatsMeow

#4: Post by TheCatsMeow »

That sounds good. Would you mind uploading a video and dropping a link here to show what's going on?

vas

#5: Post by vas »

North Man Coffee wrote:The pressure seems happy, and the water is very hot, however; the water flow will run okay for 3-5 seconds before turning to steam and the flow stopping altogether - then repeating this process. It's possible to get coffee, but it's not tasty.
That's normal for HX. You need to learn how to use the cooling flush and the proper workflow. Here's a good thread about the technique. Also try searching for "Oscar cooling flush" over HB.

North Man Coffee (original poster)

#6: Post by North Man Coffee (original poster) »

Here's a little video, interesting to hear this may be normal for a HX machine so perhaps there's nothing wrong apart from my experience here? Anyways, filmed a short clip here so you can tell me if this is normal or needs attention :)

TheCatsMeow

#7: Post by TheCatsMeow »

I'm definitely no expert (yet at least, maybe one day :lol: ) but that doesn't seem quite right to me. A flush on an HX machine is to cool down the water in the boiler a bit, as it will usually be too hot after sitting for a while. This typically starts with steam, but then ends with water (and probably still some steam of course due to the temperature of the water). Yours looks like it starts with steam and quite a bit of water, then gradually changes to steam only, and then basically nothing.

What happens if you flush about 8oz of liquid, and then pull a shot right after?

randytsuch

#8: Post by randytsuch »

Do all the buttons act the same.
Its volumetric, and you can set each button to stop after a certain volume of water is pumped out. Could it just be hitting the stopping point?

Randy

BaristaBoy E61

#9: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

If this were my machine, the 1st thing I'd be doing is a full citric acid descaling because it's hard to know with someone else's machine where you're at with water and scale until you do the descaling. Then, I'd take it from there.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

vas

#10: Post by vas »

TheCatsMeow wrote:Yours looks like it starts with steam and quite a bit of water, then gradually changes to steam only, and then basically nothing.
That's because the overheated water from the boiler part of HX loop escaped as steam and any new water coming in turns to steam instantly.

idk, maybe this thread can explain what's going on better.