E61 mushroom chromium plating detaching

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
lightbar

Postby lightbar » Dec 03, 2018, 2:19 pm

Hi there

Last year I have restored a Faema E61 completely and I have the two group re-chromed because the chromium plating was completely ruined.
After 1 year of use anyway the mushroom has lost its chromium plating on the inside where the hot water is flowing.

This is the situation before the chromium plating:

This is after the chromium plating:

and this is now where some pieces are still attached:

As I don't want micro pieces or particles of chromium flowing around the water I think that I got 3 options:

1) Go back to the chromium guy and get my two mushroom plated again which would cost me 20 euro but I really don't know if they new plating will last or if it will get consumed again (much probably as it's the same guy so the same process...)

2) buy 2 new muschroom which cost me 45 euro

3) removed completely the chromium plating from the inside and maintain just the copper plating.

What do you suggest me?

walshman

Postby walshman » Dec 04, 2018, 1:23 pm

Why did you have the mushrooms plated in the first place? its not as though they are on show. I'd of stayed with the copper cause that's the way they come with the machine.

lightbar

Postby lightbar » Dec 04, 2018, 3:11 pm

Well actually the original mushroom it's completely plated on the inside

This is from DeVecchi website but the original Faema It's the same.

Anyway I have bring my mushrooms at the plate guy and he is removing the last pieces that have remained attached. So I'll have just the copper .

Anyway I really think that the chromium plating, if it keep its integrity safe, it's better than the copper for water flushing as the chromium plating doesn't produce oxides while the copper does

jyl

Postby jyl » Dec 05, 2018, 3:57 am

I don't have the answer but only 20 euro for chrome plating? Wow in the USA any chrome plating work costs hundreds of dollars.
John, Portland OR
Vintage bicycles, Porsche/VW, cooking, old houses.
★ Helpful

lightbar

Postby lightbar » Dec 05, 2018, 5:34 am

When I plated all the groups I have spent 120 Euro in total. I have asked to a professional guy, he plates every day hundreds of pieces, I suppose that for a small work like mine he has just put my small pieces together with a big work so he asked me just a small price.

Renegade

Postby Renegade » Dec 06, 2018, 8:46 am

Maybe your water is too soft ?

Hard water will produce scale, while soft water can cause rust and...maybe remove chrome plating ?

DaveC

Postby DaveC » Dec 06, 2018, 9:17 am

Clean them down to the copper/brass and leave them like that...definitely don't rechrome them.

lightbar

Postby lightbar » Dec 06, 2018, 7:37 pm

Renegade wrote:Maybe your water is too soft ?

Hard water will produce scale, while soft water can cause rust and...maybe remove chrome plating ?

This is a new, didn't know that water too soft can cause rust. Anyway it shouldn't be too much soft.

lightbar

Postby lightbar » Dec 06, 2018, 7:40 pm

DaveC wrote:Clean them down to the copper/brass and leave them like that...definitely don't rechrome them.

Sure is a cost but I have to say one thing. I have the internal part of the group which has the copper exposed to the water, well after a while of you cleaning up the copper layer with just a paper, it sully the paper of copper oxide because used to oxide with water flowing on

homeburrero
Team HB

Postby homeburrero » Dec 06, 2018, 8:27 pm

Soft water will not rust copper/brass, but if low in alkalinity and especially if it has chloride or sulfate may cause other forms of corrosion, which may lead to pitting or pinholes.

A copper oxide coating (typically black or brownish) of the brass or copper is stable and protective against corrosion. No need to worry about that or try to remove it.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h