E61 group head lever reinstall

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
gift

#1: Post by gift »

I took the group head apart apart to replace lower cam pin on my quickmill anita. Everything seemed to be fine until last piece of the lever cam which has a very hard spring (red arrow) toward the end of the lever. No matter how hard I push, I can't lock the nut at the end of the lever in with the spring there. What's the function of this spring? Can I leave it out?

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

As I recall, that spring compresses the packing washers to help ensure a seal around the shaft.

https://www.chriscoffee.com/blogs/espre ... loded-view

Advertisement
Giampiero

#3: Post by Giampiero »

You installed the spring/nut assembly in the wrong position.
★ Helpful

gift (original poster)

#4: Post by gift (original poster) »

Is this the right sequence? You mean the sequence is right but the position is wrong?

Giampiero

#5: Post by Giampiero replying to gift »

I did not find another photo, but the nut/spring assembly, as you show, must to go between the big chromed nut and the small chromed nut.

gift (original poster)

#6: Post by gift (original poster) »

I found this in another post.

It's the Alexia but should be the same. I'll take it apart and compare to this diagram again. Thank you all for your help!
★ Helpful

BaristaBoy E61

#7: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

100% your sequence was wrong. Part# 460079 goes between Part# 460078 & Part# 460081 with the flange against the rubber washers so that the spring can project tension on the flange against the washers to prevent leakage.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

Advertisement
richiekess

#8: Post by richiekess »

Yup, wrong order. When you follow that diagram, you will see that it is easy to reassemble.

gift (original poster)

#9: Post by gift (original poster) »

Thank you all so much. My sequence was totally wrong. After I fixed that everything goes in place very easily. After I put it all back, I tested a shot to see if I fixed the drain valve problem or not. It turned out I still have no draining after pulling a shot or backflush.

I had very similar problem with this old thread I found
Quickmill Alexia: replace worn exhaust cam pin?

The lower cam pin was totally worn out which was the reason I replaced it.

I replaced the cam lever and the gaskets as well. I bought this machine about 6 years ago from a guy who had it for 2 years and been using it regularly. Is there any other parts in the drain valve that's known to wear out from usage that I should change?

JRising
Team HB

#10: Post by JRising »

I would suggest replace that pre-infusion valve (in the picture) completely, the cam-rider is worn at a sharp angle and the valve face is completely crapped out and extruding from the valve. Also examine the drain valve (The one below that one in the machine), if its rubber is as bad as that pre-infuse valve, replace it too.