E61 "exhaust" not lining up with drip tray...

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Jesse.F

#1: Post by Jesse.F »

Before I take my machine apart, I was wondering if anyone knew if this is a fixable thing. The exit in my E61 doesn't quite line up with the hole in the drip tray. It's not a huge deal, and only really makes a bit of a mess when back flushing.

The machine is a Quickmill Carola. I'm hoping there are maybe a few screws in the back that I can tighten/ loosen to get the whole group to lean back a bit? If not I suppose I can simple cut the drip tray a bit too open it up.

Thanks for the help

JRising
Team HB

#2: Post by JRising »

There is an insulation sheet between the head and the sheet metal of the machine body... It's fairly thick, adding a second one would move the head out further and closer to the hole, might look weird.
It would probably look better to modify the grill over the drip tray.

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Nunas »

You can shim it out, but why would you bother? Unless the photo gives an optical delusion :wink: it looks like the exhaust water will all drop into the drip tray as it is.

jgood

#4: Post by jgood »

Looked at my few years old Carola as this made me curious. The center of the E61 exhaust is 1 1/4" from the back casing; the center of the hole is 1 1/2". Odd, but as the hole is about 1" in diameter I doubt the 1/4" misalignment makes much difference - all the waste water comes out of a small hole. Some spray is inevitable due to the force of the water. I don't think the misalignment is the main factor. Someplace I did hear of adding heat resistant tubing to the bottom of the exhaust to guide the water down -- not sure where, or if it's a good idea.

cafeIKE

#5: Post by cafeIKE »

Vibiemme makes an extension drain, 20 in in the image.

Contact site sponsor EspressoCare for fit and availability

Jesse.F (original poster)

#6: Post by Jesse.F (original poster) »

It caught my attention because when I back flush, some water goes along the back of the drip tray, and drips onto the counter. Not a huge issue at all, just figured I'd a few turns off a screw could fix it, why not.

It is hard to see in the picture, but there is a bit of a forward tilt to the group head in general, that's what got me thinking.

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by Nunas »

Jesse.F wrote:It caught my attention because when I back flush, some water goes along the back of the drip tray, and drips onto the counter.<snip>
I wouldn't like that. On the other hand, I'm still not sure it's worth doing major surgery to fix; only you can judge that. If it were my machine, I think I'd get a short piece of 30 mm ID tubing, slip it onto the bottom of the e61 and snip it off so that it ends just above the drip tray. Might work, if that size hose exists :wink: .

cafeIKE

#8: Post by cafeIKE »

A tube would not have to be tight fit, it could be oversize and just rest on the drip tray. A bit of a PITA, but workable.
Jesse.F wrote:It is hard to see in the picture, but there is a bit of a forward tilt to the group head in general, that's what got me thinking.
If the group is tilted, and you use a bottomless PF, check the group level on the face with the screen and water spreader removed. If the group is not level, pours may be off center, resulting in a tail-chasing correction exercise or compensating bad distribution. Adjust the group level by shimming under the feet.

search for 'mini bubble spirit level'

Check against an accurate spirit level as they are sometimes off a bit, but one side is usually close enough. Mark the best side so you have repeatable measurements.

JRising
Team HB

#9: Post by JRising »

Jesse.F wrote: It is hard to see in the picture, but there is a bit of a forward tilt to the group head in general, that's what got me thinking.
The head is secured to the body by two threaded rods, side by side... The tubes to and from the heat exchanger are of course top and bottom... Take a look inside and see if just tightening the 13mm nuts on the threaded rods may straighten the whole head a little...