Draining HX boiler without hot water tap

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
mopedman

#1: Post by mopedman »

Hi All,

Apologies if this has been answered before, I found a lot of posts on how to drain / flush a HX machine, but not much about how to do it without a hot water tap.

I have a Salvatore Famosa and a Nuova Simonelli Oscar, neither of which have hot water tap. I am looking to sell the Famosa, but I want to flush out the boiler with distilled water to help prevent scale buildup until then.

Any tips?

I was thinking of trying to pull the connection on the autofill limit and flushing with the pump, just not sure if that's the safest way to do it.

Thanks!

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

Open the machine -- from the top of the boiler, remove a fixture like the vacuum breaker or pipe to the steam valve -- use the opening to siphon out the water.
Jim Schulman

Advertisement
mopedman (original poster)

#3: Post by mopedman (original poster) »

Was hoping there was an easier way, but now that you mention it, I guess that's the only way to really get most of it out.

Thanks!

Gionnibello

#4: Post by Gionnibello »

Hey there,

Have you checked the suggestions for emptying the boiler at Elektros.it?
https://www.elektros.it/it/en/tips_tricks.html
Check the point 2. Among other things explains how to empty the boiler.

Hope it helps. :wink:
My mum craved espresso while expecting me ... it’s in my genes!!!

jgood

#5: Post by jgood »

Interesting link -- I think that might work for my QM Carola Steamer. I have been thinking it's probably a good idea to rinse out the boiler occasionally as there's no hot water tap and so I assume the boiler water gets more "minerally" over time, as the some water goes out as steam. Does that make any sense???

JRising
Team HB

#6: Post by JRising replying to jgood »

Absolutely a good idea. Siphon it into a clear pitcher so you can look at it. If it's cloudy, then you know you want to do it again next summer.