Draining HX boiler without heat

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Flitzgordon

#1: Post by Flitzgordon » Jul 12, 2019, 4:58 am

Hi,

I've a Mechanika IV and it's unable to heat.

I've to replace the refill solenoid but it will start to release all the water from the boiler if I take the part off, with the risk of having water on the regulator and other components.

What's the safest to drain the boiler without heat?

On a sidenote, is it actually possible to turn the machine upside and release the water from the steam water wand?
Will that exert pressure and damage the gauges?

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB » Jul 12, 2019, 8:44 am

To empty the boiler, I remove the vacuum breaker valve and siphon the water out. Turning the machine upside down and draining via the steam wand or vacuum breaker should work too, but I don't have firsthand experience. As a safety reminder, remember to unplug it.
Dan Kehn

JRising

#3: Post by JRising » Jul 12, 2019, 9:17 am

If you have access to a compressor, you can blow little bursts of air into the steam wand with both the H2O valve and steam valve open and a pitcher under the H2O spout... Keep an eye on the gauge and try to regulate your pulses to keep the pressure below 1.2 bar.
Without a compressor you could put a soft hose over the steam tip and blow the water out with your mouth, pinching the hose when you breathe in so the pressure remains high enough to keep the breather valve closed. Don't let anybody see you doing this, you look silly, but it works and there's no way you'll reach 1.2 bar.
Because the H2O valve takes the water from the bottom right (When facing the machine) if you put the left side feet up on a cutting board to tilt the machine, it will drain a little more completely.

C-Antonio

#4: Post by C-Antonio » Jul 12, 2019, 10:10 am

JRising wrote:If you have access to a compressor
bicycle pump should work too
“Eh sì sì sì…sembra facile (fare un buon caffè)!”

forbeskm
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by forbeskm » Jul 12, 2019, 10:39 am

My HX Salvatore has a small cap on the boiler, I picked up a bulb siphon and drained it that way.

erics

#6: Post by erics » Jul 12, 2019, 10:40 am

I've a Mechanika IV and it's unable to heat.
Then, first thing to do is determine WHY it will not heat. Tell me you are 100% positive it is the heating element and we can go from there.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

sweaner
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by sweaner » Jul 12, 2019, 9:23 pm

JRising wrote:Don't let anybody see you doing this, you look silly, but it works and there's no way you'll reach 1.2 bar.
I found a video of just how silly!
Scott
LMWDP #248

www.coffeefreek.com

mohninme

#8: Post by mohninme » Jul 13, 2019, 10:46 am

sweaner wrote:I found a video of just how silly!
Bahahahahaha
Michael

Flitzgordon

#9: Post by Flitzgordon » Jul 14, 2019, 2:12 pm

I figured out that the easiest way is to slightly release the fitting and slowly allow the water to bleed out from the underneath. Everything gets collected to a pail placed below. I watch very carefully that the water is not going towards the regulator. :D