Do some E61 groupheads not have cams? - Page 2

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
JRising
Team HB

#11: Post by JRising »

From your very first picture (Side shot of mushroom) I would say nothing wrong. The chrome of every E61 mushroom is flaked by the end of warranty, yet the mushrooms don't need replacing until the end of time (Ceramic mushrooms that get shattered or machines allowed to freeze are a different matter, not "Normal use" problems). A 1 minute spin under the wire brush on a bench grinder, or maybe three minutes with a wire brush in your hand and that piece will be shiny brass with veins of old chrome, and perfectly good again (Just don't scratch the chrome of the pretty external parts).

Cafiza won't do much for your machine parts with calcium bonding to it. Cafiza eats away at the oils that make the coffee tar gum everything up in the brewing chamber and out through the portafilter and drain valves. The mushroom is upstream from the brewing process and doesn't really have a chance to get gummed up with coffee oil.

And, just out of curiousity, where did you get that unthreaded mushroom from, and did it have a name? I am wondering if it's a machining error, or if I need to figure out what machines don't have Gicleurs threaded into that spot.

humantopus (original poster)

#12: Post by humantopus (original poster) »

This is the one: https://www.espressotec.com/rocket-e61- ... ome-brass/

Glad I have a bench grinder and wire brush! I'll return this mushroom if they'll let me. Now to order the heating element and get the boiler inspected/replaced.

JRising
Team HB

#13: Post by JRising »

That's neat.
A Rocket mushroom would be threaded if it had completed its machining. |The gigleur screws in exactly the same in the Rockets as it does in yours. What you've got is a factory error. You should be able to return it to espressotec in exchange for a completed one.