DIY-Olympia Cremina piston rod seal "tool" and Fix - Page 3

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
roadman
Supporter ♡

#21: Post by roadman »

mogogear wrote:Roadman -good find- There are many such items that can ease the shoulder of the piston rod past the seal and prevent damage- that was a good eye on your part.
TUS172 wrote:Hey Roadman,
Thank you, it is simple, effective and most of all cost effective (cheap)! :wink:
Fullsack wrote:Just used the Roadman, (it's so brillant, it deserves a name), to install the piston. The process was seamless, no seal damage. This was the only part of working on a Cremina I use to dread. Thanks Roadman.
Thanks guys - I'm all verklempt. Talk amongst yourselves.
Jon

timo888

#22: Post by timo888 »

Fullsack wrote:The replacement black circlip I used when I rebuilt the group last month, (the one that came with the complete seal and gasket kit), was already rusted when I took apart the group today. I don't know if the black clip rusts and the original chrome one doesn't or maybe it should have been installed with the smooth surface facing the 4 holed washer, (the rust was between the clip and the brass washer). Regardless, I put the original chrome one back, smooth surface facing the washer this time.
You wrote earlier that the brass washer was corroded and in pieces. Did you manage to find a replacement for it?

Regards
Timo

Fullsack

#23: Post by Fullsack replying to timo888 »

I didn't Timo, I have been using the '83 Cremina in my office, sans washer, for a couple of months, (I can't tell any difference), but after the responses from respected leverheads, I'm going to get one made using the 2 broken pieces as a template.
LMWDP #017
Kill all my demons and my angels might die too. T. Williams

timo888

#24: Post by timo888 replying to Fullsack »

An overseas source tells me it's 19mm OD by 13mm ID by 1mm thick, but that they're unfamiliar with the four drilled holes. Do those dimensions jibe with those of your washer?

Regards
Timo

Fullsack

#25: Post by Fullsack replying to timo888 »

I don't have a metric measuring device, but it's probably about time I got one. I'll let you know then. The '83, '86 and '88 Creminas all had 4 holes in their brass washers.
LMWDP #017
Kill all my demons and my angels might die too. T. Williams

bobcraige

#26: Post by bobcraige »

1 inch =25.4mm
Bob Craige

LMWDP #7