Did descaling ruin/damage my Lelit Bianca V2?!!

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
AlphaDeltak

#1: Post by AlphaDeltak »

Hey all, new here. So far this seems to be the place to be so hoping to get some help.

Bought a Lelit Bianca V2 from a local coffee shop owner. I read about these horror stories of machines getting scale build up and needing expensive repairs. I pulled the mushroom from the group head and it had bb sized green copper scale build up all over it. I cleaned it off with a plastic scraper the best I could and reinstalled it.

I watched and followed Lelit descale video to the letter using Dezcal and made sure to flush thoroughly.

Much to my dismay I check to see how the mushroom looks to see what appears to be copper colored coating inside the top of the group head. Using a paper towel and soft bristle brush I just cleaned anything loose off, flushed it all out with the shower screen removed then did a backflush.

I'm concerned I have just in fact cause damage to the machine and need the previously mentioned expensive repairs by using a product that's too acidic. My TDS meter now also shows 500 ppm in the water out of the group head. Not sure if that's at all relevant considering the water is clear.

What do my next steps look outside of a new all stainless mushroom?

To be honest I'm a little heartbroken. This is my dream machine and my wife bought it for me and now I'm facing this. Any advice you have I am all ears. Pictures below.

JRising
Team HB

#2: Post by JRising »

You haven't damaged anything. It looks better than most of the mushrooms I see any given day, the coating eventually comes off of all of them. From the pictures, it looks to me like you did a great job.

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Nunas »

What's the TDS of the water you're using?

LittleCoffee

#4: Post by LittleCoffee »

Also, if you're using a cheap TDS meter (the pen like ones off Amazon for c$20) note that they don't do temperature normalisation. All they measure the conductivity of the water which goes up 3% or so per 1C. If that is the meter you're using, all it's telling you is that the water is hot, rather than hard, if measuring it straight out of the group.

erik82

#5: Post by erik82 »

Looks like a normal inside of the mushroom after some time of usage. I've also seen much worse.

AlphaDeltak (original poster)

#6: Post by AlphaDeltak (original poster) »

LittleCoffee wrote:Also, if you're using a cheap TDS meter (the pen like ones off Amazon for c$20) note that they don't do temperature normalisation. All they measure the conductivity of the water which goes up 3% or so per 1C. If that is the meter you're using, all it's telling you is that the water is hot, rather than hard, if measuring it straight out of the group.
I figured temp had something to do with it. DIdn't think my water was 400% worse coming out of my machine then going in! Thanks thats good to know.

#7: Post by AlphaDeltak (original poster) »

Nunas wrote:What's the TDS of the water you're using?
My cold tap water is 145 ppm or 20.6 gn/gal. We have a water softener that obviously isn't quite set correctly. I bought a ZERO water filter for the mean time but then read it's advantageous to add back minerals into the water since the filter softens the water TOO much. Haven't started that yet so currently I am just using cold tap water with a generic in tank "water softener" that in reality probably doesn't do much.

I will be honest I never even considered water quality with my Breville Barista Express, I just focused on making my espresso taste half decent. Now with my new grinder I got with the machine all these other factors are coming into play since it's becoming easier to pull good shots.

#8: Post by AlphaDeltak (original poster) »

JRising wrote:You haven't damaged anything. It looks better than most of the mushrooms I see any given day, the coating eventually comes off of all of them. From the pictures, it looks to me like you did a great job.
Thanks, the previous owner did ZERO preventive maintenance on the machine. So I decided to just do the basics such as lubing some of the seals and checking the cam for wear. Then after I descaled everything looked much different so my heart kinda sank that somehow my descale ratio math was off and I had effectively ruined my group head.

HB
Admin

#9: Post by HB »

AlphaDeltak wrote:...my heart kinda sank that somehow my descale ratio math was off and I had effectively ruined my group head.
Ha, that's nothing compared to How nasty can an E61 mushroom get in 18 months!

If you're feeling paranoid, you should check the steam boiler. If there's a serious scale buildup, that's where it'll be. Behold the horror! :lol:

Dan Kehn

#10: Post by AlphaDeltak (original poster) replying to HB »

Just out of curiosity how difficult is getting into the steam boiler on these dual boiler machines? Looking at your photo, it seems that minus maybe some hoses and a couple bolts it's not that bad. I am paranoid, however I also feel like since I have descaled it, using softer water and am still getting great steam pressure and my boiler doesn't seem to have a diminished fill capacity I should leave well enough alone. Kinda subscribing to the don't fix what ain't broke philosophy.