Determine if Grouphead Needs Replacing

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
buckersss
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by buckersss »

Hi All,

Im new to machine maintenance. Looking for any help you can offer. I bought a used Promac Club ME machine by Rancilio.

As I have been playing around with it, I realized the grouphead was leaking.

I'm ordering a new grouphead gasket. Don't have it yet. I took the old one off today though - it was pretty caked on. I had to twist some screws into it, and use them as grips to pry it out.

I soaped up the grouphead and scrubbed with some nylon brushes and paper towels.

It's fairly clean now. I was hoping anyone could give me an assessment though. I was concerned about the wear. I expect majority of grouphead are brass. I think this one is coated, perhaps with nickel? Is that a thing? The dispersion head shows the coating is wearing ever so slightly, and it looks like brass underneath.

Anyways, I thought I'd just ask if the attached images showed anything of concern that I may be missing. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Marcelnl
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Marcelnl »

looks to be OK, it might be missing a shower screen?
LMWDP #483

HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

And the dispersion screw. See E61 Group Espresso Machine: Detailed Interior Schematics and countless other diagrams for more details. For example:

From many other threads

From Spare parts to stock for servicing E61 groupheads
Dan Kehn

buckersss (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by buckersss (original poster) »

Thanks Dan and Marcel!

Yep I got all of those, the dispersion head, the nut/screw, the screen. Just left them out of the picture. May grab a new screen while I'm at it. I think on the site I was looking at they said 57mm is the right size shower screen for a Rancilio machine?

Randy G.

#5: Post by Randy G. »

I would turn the machine upside down and clean the group with Simple Green or maybe TSP. For the TSP, dissolve it in hot water and then put some strips of a cut up old T-shirt into the group and pour some of the solution onto it. Let it some for 20 or 30 minutes, then scrub with a stiff brush. If for no other reason than to make the removal of the next gasket easier.
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
* 22nd Anniversary 2000-2022 *

Supporter ♡

#6: Post by buckersss (original poster) replying to Randy G. »

Thanks Randy. Good ideas for sure. I think I could flip it on its back if I removed all the panels first.

The machine is pretty big though, 70-75lbs. I have it tucked away in a cabinet beneath the counter right now. I'm inclined to leave it, but I 'll mull it over.

I'll pick up some TSP. I have never heard of that, thank you for the idea. You also made me think I could dissolve a bit of citric acid and using the mixture to scrub the group head. The gunk there isn't exactly calcium build up but it may help none the less.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by JohnB. »

A hot Cafiza solution will remove that crud. Put it in a container that's wider then the group then set the container on something high enough so that the cleaning solution comes up an inch or so above the bottom of the group.
LMWDP 267
★ Helpful

Randy G.

#8: Post by Randy G. »

buckersss wrote:Thanks Randy. Good ideas for sure. I think I could flip it on its back....
John's idea is easier than mine and the Cafiza is likely easier to fine.
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
* 22nd Anniversary 2000-2022 *

borrik

#9: Post by borrik »

It doesn't looks like that topicstarter have e61 group though. Central hole is likely not water outlet and used to screw in shower screen, and water port is single hole drilled under some angle...

Supporter ♡

#10: Post by buckersss (original poster) »

JohnB. wrote:A hot Cafiza solution will remove that crud. Put it in a container that's wider then the group then set the container on something high enough so that the cleaning solution comes up an inch or so above the bottom of the group.
Thanks John. A good suggestion. when I get time I may take off some of the housing and do this.

The pictures above do give some good detail, the more I look at them the more there does seem to be alot of plating wear. Which makes me lean towards wanting to replace the group.

borrik wrote:It doesn't looks like that topicstarter have e61 group though. Central hole is likely not water outlet and used to screw in shower screen, and water port is single hole drilled under some angle...
It's not an E61, sorry if I mislead anyone. The link below is the machine.

https://www.promacitalia.com/en/product ... 63-club-me

There have been a few other HB threads on similar versions of promacs that have been helpful for me to reference.