Descaled boiler before and after

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Tony77

#1: Post by Tony77 »

I recently descaled my R58's steam boiler after about five or six years of light maintenance which did not include any significant cleaning of either boiler. I expected a decent amount of scale. I only discovered how much when I used an endoscope camera to take a peek inside. I completed two rounds with Dezcal then flushed with about 10 cycles of fresh water. See before and after pics below.

George72

#2: Post by George72 »

Really good!!
well done

BaristaBoy E61

#3: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

That's an astonishing before and after difference!
It also appears that there might be a hole in the copper vertical tube in the boiler...
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

Armanius

#4: Post by Armanius »

Wow. What a difference!!!

Neto

#5: Post by Neto »

good job! Rockets are solid, I have one myself :P

mokava

#6: Post by mokava »

Amazing!

At first I thought it was a swap, because the housing at the base of the coil looked completely corroded, yet nice and almost newly soldered on in the after-pic. But then I looked closely and noticed the same notches on the housing flange in both before and after pics. That means, the "corrosion" was in fact crusts of scale breaking and flaking!

Great job!

mhpchan

#7: Post by mhpchan »

Wow that is amazing!! A night and day difference. I forgot where I read this but I thought folks say not to descale?

limonengelb

#8: Post by limonengelb »

video with Andrew from Rocket on the topic.

tinman143
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by tinman143 »

The concern being if a larger scale particle clogs somewhere in your circuit during the flushing process. Wow what a difference though!