Decent Tamper v2 - How do you take it apart to change spring?

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
PokyWuWei

#1: Post by PokyWuWei »

I just received my goodies from Decent Espresso. I cannot figure out how to take the v2 tamper apart so I can change the spring. Anyone with helpful information?

I tried twisting, pushing and twisting, pulling etc etc. Im not the smartest but wtf.

tracer bullet

#2: Post by tracer bullet »

Grab the handle and the base and twist in the normal CCW direction. There might be a bit of thread locker in it.

I put my base between some pieces of soft rubber and gently clamped it in a vise.

PokyWuWei (original poster)

#3: Post by PokyWuWei (original poster) »

I just got an email reply from Decent Espresso. Here is quoted text.

"The spring of the v2 tamper cannot be replaced."

I bought the v2 tamper kit. If I had known that the spring was not replaceable I would not have bought it. Not a good look. If the v2 tamper spring cannot be replaced why the heck sell a v2 tamper kit with 25 and 30lb additional springs.

Not a very good first experience with Decent Espresso and what I would consider bad business and a complete oversight by the company.

Abecker

#4: Post by Abecker »

Did you ask them why they include the additional springs?

#5: Post by PokyWuWei (original poster) replying to Abecker »

I did in my last email reply. Im waiting to hear back from Decent. I personally would never buy a calibrated spring tamper if you could not take the tamper apart and replace the spring.

I am a little perplexed that Decent does not state that the v2 model spring is not replaceable and why they have a tamper kit that includes the springs for replacement and the v2.

If it was/is common knowledge that the v2 tamper spring is not replaceable I would have bought the v1 tamper kit at 30% discount.

Iowa_Boy

#6: Post by Iowa_Boy replying to PokyWuWei »

Interesting. I wasn't aware either and I have the V2 with a bunch of extra springs. I bought extra to have both options as well as filler for some orders. That would be disappointing if it turns out to be the case.

Just curious - Is there a reason you are trying to change the spring? I have found the one that it comes with seems to work perfectly.

#7: Post by PokyWuWei (original poster) »

Iowa_Boy wrote:Interesting. I wasn't aware either and I have the V2 with a bunch of extra springs. That would be disappointing if it turns out to be the case.

Just curious - Is there a reason you are trying to change the spring? I have found the one that it comes with works perfectly.
Do we even know what lb spring is inside the v2? I assume its a 25lb but it could be a 22lb. I would like to expierment with the 30lb spring. Also for the longevity of the tamper, replacing the spring is paramount.

This is a big deal imho and I am extremely surprised I cannot find info or vids on this issue. I guess it might be time I start reviewing my huge backlog of my past 15 years of extraordinary and not so extraordinary purchases.

Iowa_Boy

#8: Post by Iowa_Boy replying to PokyWuWei »

I believe it is the 25lb spring but I am sure Decent can confirm. Their customer service is outstanding, so I am sure they will let you return if you decide to get the V1 instead.

ira
Team HB

#9: Post by ira »

If it's a good quality spring, it will never need replacement and FWIW, it seems like the idea that tamping to a consistent weight makes a difference was abandoned long ago. Well, assuming you have a consistent grinder. I sold my 30 lb calibrated tamper years ago and changing to a well fitting tamper with the lightest possible tamp did not seem to change the outcome in a any meaningful way, at least not to my eyes.

Ira

BaristaBob

#10: Post by BaristaBob »

PokyWuWei wrote:Do we even know what lb spring is inside the v2? I assume its a 25lb but it could be a 22lb. I would like to expierment with the 30lb spring. Also for the longevity of the tamper, replacing the spring is paramount.

This is a big deal imho and I am extremely surprised I cannot find info or vids on this issue. I guess it might be time I start reviewing my huge backlog of my past 15 years of extraordinary and not so extraordinary purchases.
The v2 uses a 25 lb. spring and is not removable. If you want to play with various spring rates the v1 is the one you want. You can switch between a 25 and 30 lb. spring. However, the v1 is not a leveling tamper, the v2 is.
I loved my Decent v1 Tamper with the 58.5mm precision head, fit my vst baskets to the very edge! Now I have The Force Tamper...it's everything I wanted in a tamper, leveling, spring actuated that's adjustable, and with a 58.5mm head. No more tampers in my future...for now!
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"