Cuadra Restoration

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Crusty

#1: Post by Crusty »

Hi everyone, I'm Dave and I'm new to this forum. I purchased an old Cuadra a few months ago and I'm in the process of restoring it to better than new (my goal) and could use some assistance with the project. It would be great to document everything here to share for others in the future.

austinado16

#2: Post by austinado16 »

Welcome Dave! Looking forward to seeing the progress on the Cuadra!

TheCatsMeow

#3: Post by TheCatsMeow »

Hey, you made it! I'm the one that recommended you come hang out over here. Looking forward to see what you do with that machine; I'd love to see some photos of the process :D

TheCatsMeow

#4: Post by TheCatsMeow »

Man I love the look of that machine, the shape is so cool.

Looks like the heating element has popped? You should be able to find a replacement online. How does the inside of the tank look? The first machine I took apart near everything was covered in scale, coffee oils, residue, etc. The second machine I took apart (just finished disassembly) looked like crap on the outside, but all the internals are extremely clean for some reason.

austinado16

#5: Post by austinado16 »

Beautiful shape!!

Cuadra A006...

Crusty (original poster)

#6: Post by Crusty (original poster) »

Thanks everyone, now I'm off looking for the correct SSRelay to replace the original one... I believe I need a specific Omicron unit, and the Amazon seller sent the wrong one now I have to reorder the part.

Crusty (original poster)

#7: Post by Crusty (original poster) »

Thx Cats... so the heating element must have been sitting in there busted for awhile, the lady that sold me the nespresso machine ,lol, said she got it with a food truck purchase and wasn't planning to sell coffee drinks! The heating element corroded inside the boiler and it took me awhile to clean it out but there was no real scaling or buildup just a lot of crap from the heating element.

JRising
Team HB

#8: Post by JRising »

Crusty wrote:Thanks everyone, now I'm off looking for the correct SSRelay to replace the original one... I believe I need a specific Omicron unit, and the Amazon seller sent the wrong one now I have to reorder the part.
There was no SSR in the originals. If yours has one, that's an upgrade a previous owner has done to protect the mech relay on that green circuit board. (Sometimes mounted to the Pressostat Assembly, sometimes mounted to the frame just inside the left wall). When I've installed SSRs in Cuadras, I usually mount them in a metal can for heat-sink and umbrella protection to the back of the reservoir carrier (so that they fit in the curve of the back wall when reassembled).

Crusty (original poster)

#9: Post by Crusty (original poster) »

I believe the control box is shot, when I turn the power switch on, nothing occurs and I believe the pump is supposed to kick on to fill boiler and nothing happens. I already installed a new pump so I know it's not the pump. I think rather than look for a controller replacement I was thinking of creating a custom controller with a PID for the boiler and get rid of the pressure stat. Not sure yet.

JRising
Team HB

#10: Post by JRising »

If you are going to replace the "Gicar", there are plenty available that are much smarter than the original, simple one for that machine. I'd suggest getting one that does NOT power the element unless the boiler is full. It's a HX machine, but the PID wouldn't hurt anything.