Conti Rebuild - Page 2

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
mogogear

#11: Post by mogogear »

Ohhhhhh; Ahhhhhhhh; Pretty Pretty. I think I could use that stainless steel for a rear view mirror!!

Bill and or others have you ever used Ceramic cloth insulation? It can be pretty expensive, but looking at the stuff it is also interesting. Used for kilns and stoves it is heat proof to about 1,400 F and resembles white felt in the 1/4" thick version. Also comes in 1"thick. I found some on line from a company here in Portland. It can be trimmed very nicely . The one thing I am not sure of is - Even if something is heat proof up to that temp range- does not mean it also is a good insulator or ... does it? A simple question that I asked myself and I have now talked myself out of my initial answer. Anybody out there have a definitive answer?
greg moore

Leverwright
LMWDP #067

mogogear

#12: Post by mogogear »

In fact that Stainless is good enough to see your Volvo.. Can't tell but it looks like a V or S 70 :wink:
greg moore

Leverwright
LMWDP #067

bill (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by bill (original poster) »

Greg,
That's my wife's '99 S70. She loves Volvos; has driven them ever since her first '84 240. She was hit headon on Hillcrest in the Park Cities by a fellow driving a very large Caddy and suffered only a bruise on her shoulder from the seat belt. The 240 ended up with a bent hood and broken headlights. She said there were pieces of the Caddy all over the road.
Bill
LMWDP #43

I wasn't born in Texas, but got here as fast as I could!

mogogear

#14: Post by mogogear »

Hey Bill,
What is the height to the top of the lever- surround. The black raised collar around the lever mechanism?
greg moore

Leverwright
LMWDP #067

piff

#15: Post by piff »

Bill,

really nice work! I am currently rebuilding a Prestina, too.

I have questions concerning the boiler:
What material is it and how did you treat it? Do I have to be careful (especially inside)? Or just decalcify it and polish it somehow? What did you use to clean it that nice?
And what about the boiler gasket? Did you use an original one?

And I have another question regarding the cylinder:
It seems to be coated with a kind of paint. But it also could be a result of a corrosion process, I am not sure about it.
Especially, if I should remove it or better not. Did you? The pictures spare out this details.

Regards,
Piff

timo888

#16: Post by timo888 »

mogogear wrote:The one thing I am not sure of is - Even if something is heat proof up to that temp range- does not mean it also is a good insulator or ... does it? A simple question that I asked myself and I have now talked myself out of my initial answer. Anybody out there have a definitive answer?
Mo, sounds like a trick question :) Not all things inflammable are good insulators....if inflammable is what you mean by "heat-proof". Brass is "heat-proof" up to a certain temperature range but makes a poor insulator because it radiates heat. Ceramic cloth insulation acts as a radiant barrier.

Regards
Timo

P.S. This Conti is one beauty of a machine :!: I'd sure like to see a movie of the lever in motion :D

bill (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by bill (original poster) »

Piff,
I think the boiler is stainless, but I'm not positive. It did appear to have a brown paint on the outside which I removed by lightly wire brushing. It came off very easy. It didn't have much scale on the inside and it, too, came off with a little use of a wire brush on a drill motor. That's basically how I cleaned up most of the machine.
I made a new boiler gasket out of material bought from McMaster-Carr in Chicago. It was Virgin-PTFE Sheet Gasket, 1/16" thick. It was food grade and rated at 400 degrees. The part no. was 1063T22. A 12" square piece was $14.47 plus shipping. I bought a new group to boiler gasket from Conti and it appeared to be a similar material to the PTFE.
Back to the boiler, I think maybe what appeared to be paint could have been adhesive used to insulate the boiler. The parts manual I got from Conti showed that the boiler had originally been insulated. Also, the Prestina was available in either gas or electric heated versions. The gas version appeared to have insulation on the inside of the body panels instead of on the boiler.
Bill
LMWDP #43

I wasn't born in Texas, but got here as fast as I could!

piff

#18: Post by piff »

Bill,

thanks for your hints. By the way, the boiler is made out of nickel-plated copper. Solid and high quality as everything at the machine.
I hope I'll get my machine running this weekend. I cant wait for the first (drinkable) shot!

Piff

mogogear

#19: Post by mogogear replying to piff »

Where in the world are you Piff?
greg moore

Leverwright
LMWDP #067

piff

#20: Post by piff »

I got new gaskets today. I found out that only few streets from my house, there is a company manufactoring and tailoring gaskets for all needs. They cut it nicely, gave me two of each (for the boiler and the group) and it cost me 5$.

On the pic below you can see how the inside of my Prestina looked some weeks ago.
Meanwhile it is nearly as nice as yours (the parts inside the case).
I decided to leave the original paint of the case. I'll post pics of the complete machine asap.

Getting it running this weekend is not totally unrealistic!