Conti Prestina - Tap and re thread, or threadless?

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Tillamook

#1: Post by Tillamook »

After a full day of torching the studs and a lot of penetrating oil, I was able to successfully remove only four studs from the boiler of my Conti Prestina. The rest of the day was spent drilling carefully. The good news is I successfully got the boiler opened up with losing only a small amount of brass threads. It is amazing how well fused these two metals became over the years.

I am debating whether or not it is needed to re-thread this boiler and flange. I have dove deep into MANY posts on restoring these machines, but still cannot find any clear advantages to having threads. I don't understand why regular bolts with a head, washers, and nut aren't sufficient? Threaded studs would not allow the two pieces to compress as well in my opinion. Thank you for any input.

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

Here's my take. Threads provide more secure attachment where the threads grip the boiler flange and end plate along the shaft of the inserted bolt. Tensioning is then done by tightening a nut against a washer with a torque wrench. So, essentially, threading functions as a fail-safe device if nuts become loose. You would then have a leak that calls your attention to the need to re-tension the bolt(s) by tightening the nut(s). Routinely during break-in of a new boiler gasket, you'll be tightening the bolts until the gasket is deformed as far as it will go, filling some imperfections in the flange and end plate.

When I tapped new threads in my Prestina I was restoring the original design. From my old restoration thread, "all the bolts with a raised surface on the face plate were threaded." Those are the ones I re-threaded. So, Conti's design had only some of those bolts implementing this safety feature.

Here's that discussion:

Conti Prestina Espresso Machine Restoration 101 (Completed and Indexed)
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!