Conti Prestina Espresso Machine Restoration 101 (Completed and Indexed) - Page 10

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Warrior372

#91: Post by Warrior372 »

I agree with what Tom said as well. Depending on just how hard, stuck and burnt on your gasket is you may want to soak it. You are going to have to descale the boiler anyway, so I have just tossed the boiler into a 5 gallon bucket with a water / citric acid solution to descale in the past. It should help and either way will not hurt anything.

drgary
Team HB

#92: Post by drgary »

Good suggestion, guys. I'll start that soaking process this evening, if possible. I'll just need to find the right container to fit it all in.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Warrior372

#93: Post by Warrior372 »

Go to Home Depot. They have 5 gallon buckets with a lid for around $1 dollar.

RayJohns

#94: Post by RayJohns »

drgary wrote:Good suggestion, guys. I'll start that soaking process this evening, if possible. I'll just need to find the right container to fit it all in.
Build a big fire in your fireplace and toss it in there.. that will do the trick :-)

haha.. just kidding.. kinda.

Ray

KnowGood

#95: Post by KnowGood »

drgary wrote:Good suggestion, guys. I'll start that soaking process this evening, if possible. I'll just need to find the right container to fit it all in.
A Coleman™ cooler works best - they are somewhat insulated it keeps the water hot longer.
Lyndon
_________
LMWDP #251

drgary
Team HB

#96: Post by drgary »

RayJohns wrote:Build a big fire in your fireplace and toss it in there.. that will do the trick :-)

haha.. just kidding.. kinda.

Ray
Warrior372 wrote:Go to Home Depot. They have 5 gallon buckets with a lid for around $1 dollar.
On the way home I thought if I can't find a container, I'll just soak it here. That should be big enough!

KnowGood wrote:A Coleman™ cooler works best - they are somewhat insulated it keeps the water hot longer.
But then I thought I might have something workable in my garage -- a nice large paint bucket -- and in my kitchen, some Urnex Dezcal. So here it is in a nice, warm bath with two packets of Dezcal. The main point is to soak the paper gasket inside and out. I can do more industrial strength descaling later if needed. So here it will sit until Sunday at least.

Gary
LMWDP#308

RayJohns

#97: Post by RayJohns »

Dump a bottle of H202 in while you are at it.

BTW, have you tried running your blow torch all the way around the gasket?

Ray

drgary
Team HB

#98: Post by drgary »

RayJohns wrote:Dump a bottle of H202 in while you are at it.
Why would you add hydrogen peroxide and at what concentration?
RayJohns wrote:BTW, have you tried running your blow torch all the way around the gasket?
Which one, the propane or MAP torch? I can try that.
Gary
LMWDP#308

RayJohns

#99: Post by RayJohns »

drgary wrote:Which one, the propane or MAP torch? I can try that.
Either one.. just don't melt anything.

As far as adding the hydrogen peroxide... at this point, it can't hurt

Ray

drgary
Team HB

#100: Post by drgary »

RayJohns wrote:As far as adding the hydrogen peroxide... at this point, it can't hurt
Ray
Other than changing its looks to bleached blonde, what will that do that's different than descaling solution? I'm asking this so the thread can be educational to others on this journey.
Gary
LMWDP#308