Conti PMS Evolution Restoration - Page 3

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
LObin

#21: Post by LObin »

Wow! Great modern look with the vintage groups!

Can we expect more picture of the finished project anytime soon?
LMWDP #592

Swong46 (original poster)

#22: Post by Swong46 (original poster) »

Been a while since I gave an update.

Redid the hot water out circuit so it gets mixed with the cold water coming in.
Added a very long cooling coil to the pressure gauge so it stays below the gauge's operating temp.
Added tension rods from the top of the group head to the chassis to stiffen the group when pulling the lever. Less stress on the group cylinder and gasket.
Powder coated the group head parts black. And made spacers for the studs so the center cylinder can be decoupled. Now I can use glass and expose the spring which I'll have painted white at some point and put led's inside the glass tube.
Converted the stock shower screen/mounting spacer which was very warped and poorly made to accept an E61 screen and my own tapered spacer.

#23: Post by Swong46 (original poster) »

Utilized an unused spot on the group body that usually is for a over-temp safety switch for temp sensors.

drgary
Team HB

#24: Post by drgary »

Fantastic job. I love the redesign of the frame, the sled-like side supports and curve of the bavk and dide panels.
Swong46 wrote:The first test showed no leaks or faults but I now understand why a pressurestat is so important and a PID is useless in a single boiler machine. At Least now I have a very fancy temperature display :wink:
For a large boiler like this, I agree. For the very small boiler of a vintage Conti Prestina, a PID offers terrific, easily set temperature controls when you change coffees.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

#25: Post by Swong46 (original poster) »

A few final-ish photos of it just to complete the story and a reminder of what it was.

Jake_G
Team HB

#26: Post by Jake_G »

Stunning.

Simply stunning. :shock:
LMWDP #704

TomC
Team HB

#27: Post by TomC »

That's just incredible! Are you doing your own powder coating?
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

#28: Post by Swong46 (original poster) »

Thanks all! I used to powder coat myself years ago but now I get them done along with the Decent espresso accessories I make.

Chert

#29: Post by Chert »

Where might I ask will that beauty be in service?
LMWDP #198

harrisonpatm

#30: Post by harrisonpatm »

I would like to benefit from your learning experience: can you explain why a PID is useless in a single boiler machine? Big or small? I was planning on using one for a Cimbali Jr rebuild and I want to know what problems to expect, if you can shed some light