Compak K6 mod journey (was: Looking for ideas for Compak K6 mod direction)

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
strikeraj

#1: Post by strikeraj »

Background:
So I got myself a used stepless Compak K6 while waiting for the Timemore 064s to ship, but I do not have a cafe.... (yes I know, but it is really cheap lol) At close to 30lb this things feels solid lol

Use case:
I will be using it at home to do about 3-4 double shot a day on the weekend. Right now I am using the Rocky doserless in office to grind for my weekend drinks. I pull with a Breville Bambino at home. I normally single dose, weighting beans, grind, and weight output.

Options:
So I have come up with the following project options... but really dont know what would work best as the discussion on this grinder span over a decade and ideas about doser/doserless, single dosing technique, etc have changed over time....

1. Just disassemble to detail clean the grinder, take out the auto sensing flap in the doser, and use it this way.
2. Take out the doser and put a chute on.
3. Take the heart of the grinder (motor, burr carrier and burr) out of the casing, and build a 3D-printed case to mount it in 45 deg or so to reduce retention.
4. Any other better ideas on how to mod this for my use?

Last question:
When I search for burrs for this grinder, I see some says it is 64mm and some says it is 63.5mm. So would an SPP burr fit?

Thanks in advance!

BaristaBoy E61

#2: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

strikeraj wrote:Any other better ideas on how to mod this for my use?
You might try an Analogue Coffee Burr Honing Kit.

https://analogue.coffee
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

strikeraj (original poster)

#3: Post by strikeraj (original poster) replying to BaristaBoy E61 »

that is a very interesting idea! I am curious if any has tried and note whether that grinding direction of the teeth edge has a real impact on grind and eventually taste in the cup.

#4: Post by strikeraj (original poster) »

Here is the core motor and burr carrier pulled

Here is a sketch to use a sheet of 11 gauge stainless (Blue) to make a stand, getting the idea from Zerno

#5: Post by strikeraj (original poster) »

mock up the 3D printed frame design

BaristaBoy E61

#6: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

strikeraj wrote:that is a very interesting idea! I am curious if any has tried and note whether that grinding direction of the teeth edge has a real impact on grind and eventually taste in the cup.

We have used this honing process on our Mahlkonig K30 Vario and I can report that the alignment is much improved and where before we had to adjust the grinder to have the burrs near touching to grind for espresso, we now adjust mostly in its middle range of adjustment for espresso.

A BIG improvement in functionality as well as an improvement in taste.

#7: Post by strikeraj (original poster) »

BaristaBoy E61 wrote: We have used this honing process on our Mahlkonig K30 Vario and I can report that the alignment is much improved and where before we had to adjust the grinder to have the burrs near touching to grind for espresso, we now adjust mostly in its middle range of adjustment for espresso.

A BIG improvement in functionality as well as an improvement in taste.
Thanks for your reply and feedback!
One question on that, do you think the improvement is due to better aligned burrs (which you can also achieve with other means) or like how the website states that the change in the grind mark direction brought by this honing kit?

#8: Post by strikeraj (original poster) »

Update:
3D printed the frame, got new well nut and burrs, but the original bolts are not long enough to bolt it on.... need to visit hardware store today...

But of course, new toy is very tempting so I have already used it for the coffee this morning :D
First shot was too coarse, and noticed something about this grinder

1. It grinds SO FAST! On the Rocky, it takes over 10 sec (never timed, but feels like forever) to grind 18 gram. With this guy, it felt like 5 seconds and done.
2. It has a LOT of gaps for coffee ground to fill up. May be I should 3D print a few more pieces to try and fill those gaps

3. I have to print a funnel before I can use this on the 45 deg angle lol I will need to include a anti-popcorning piece in the print cause when I grind without a top, beans can shoot out from the top LOL

conclusion: grinder is fun XD

BaristaBoy E61

#9: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

strikeraj wrote:Thanks for your reply and feedback!
One question on that, do you think the improvement is due to better aligned burrs (which you can also achieve with other means) or like how the website states that the change in the grind mark direction brought by this honing kit?

Both! I don't believe that better alignment can be achieved if 'other means' is shimming that would be inferior to honing the complete circumferences of both burrs to match eachother.

#10: Post by strikeraj (original poster) »

picture update, funnel and electrical box still printing