Ceado grinding always same size

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
leonelbego

#1: Post by leonelbego »

I bought the new Ceado E37SD and I have a issue!

After I calibrated the machine and try grinding coffee, for some reason it doesn't matter if I am at the finest setting or at the coarser setting, the coffee comes always the same exact size! What is wrong? Is like if the burrs are not making any changes when I dial to finer or coarser. Always same grind size.

See pictures attached.

Any help please?

slipchuck

#2: Post by slipchuck »

Without beans, run the grinder and adjust it finer until you hear the burrs hitting together (should sound like metal on metal) and then back it off a few turns. Add beans and go from there

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”

Advertisement
ErDi

#3: Post by ErDi »

Hi Leonel and slipchuck,
I am trying to find some resources on how to clean the burrs and calibrate this grinder, but cannot get it anywhere on the web.
I am having a hard time dialing in the perfect shot since I bought this machine. I get channeling and fast flow no matter how fine I go. I use the asso leveler, will try the bigstep and also the Londinium distribution tool when I get it tomorrow and maybe the issue is my lack of tamping or WDT, but I am sceptical.
Any help is appreciated.

leonelbego (original poster)

#4: Post by leonelbego (original poster) replying to ErDi »

Hi, which model do you have?

To calibrate the Ceado E37S or the E37SD all you need to do is run the grinder and move the setting to fine and keep moving finer and finer and finer until you hear the burrs making a funny loud noise, then stop the grinder and move for a tad coarser and that would be your point zero. That's how you calibrate it.

To clean the burrs is very easy and you got many YouTube videos, but whole latte have a very good one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVID--WnuC8

Obviously every coffee is different but my Ceado E37SD I have it set to around 1 and is extremely consistent.

Leo

ErDi

#5: Post by ErDi »

Thanks Leo.
I have E37SD, and with the medium roast Colombia Las Hermosas beans I tend to go all the way to 0.2 and still my flow is pretty fast with some channeling.
I will try to recalibrate it and test again. I am using a GS3 MP and don't get to more than 6 bars at the brew head, which tells me either the grind is too coarse or the distribution crappy.

#6: Post by leonelbego (original poster) replying to ErDi »

If your setting is at 0.2 and your extraction is still running pretty fast then I am very sure you need to calibrate the grinder.... it happened to me at first when I bought the grinder..... remember, when you are calibrating, go fine while running the grinder, when you hear that particular noise (you will be able to tell, is like a metallic sound) then stop and go a tiny tiny bit coarse so that the burrs do not make that sound anymore and that's your zero point.... make sure to move the metal thingy with the number and put the mark with the 0 there.... then I would go to around number 1 and grind coffee and see how it goes....

i am sure you need to calibrate.

Could you also tell me on your last shot, how the workflow was? How many grams of coffee you used? How much coffee out and in home many seconds?

I usually do (depending on the coffee) I do 1:2 ratio... 18gms beans, around 36-38gms coffee out in about 25-27 seconds.... but that's just me....

ErDi

#7: Post by ErDi »

I actually opened up the grinder and before I calibrate just wanted to make sure I clean the burrs nicely.
I will probably calibrate tomorrow and try what you recommended.
I do the same with an 18gr baristapro portafilter, 18gr in and I get 36gr out in 18-20 sec, which is too fast for my liking.
Even though I don't mind the taste I find it a bit watered down.
With the naked portafilter I get the first drip in 3-5 sec and then after 2-3 sec the flow increases dramatically. Blinding right away and not getting any tiger stripes.
I am hopeful tomorrow that with the calibration things should improve.
Thanks Leo

Advertisement

#8: Post by leonelbego (original poster) replying to ErDi »

Please report back after you calibrated the grinder. I would be interested to know if that was the issue :) I am very confident it is not calibrated properly.

mine when I first got it, I was also very disappointed, then I discovered the grinder wasn't calibrated properly, and now I couldn't be happier with the grinder. I absolutely love it.

Regards,
Leo

DavidGinNYC
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by DavidGinNYC »

As a Ceado E37S owner (2019 model with quick set gears), I want to reiterate that these grinders are NOT calibrated when you pull them out of the box. In fact, you'll find that the index ring with the number scale that indicates your grind size is actually not fixed permanently in place. It's magnetic, I think, and it can be moved without adjusting the grind size.

So what this means is that until you find your zero-point, and then rotate the number-scale disk to indicate zero, whatever you're seeing on that scale is meaningless.

I hope this helps. It's not a defect, it's just the way the grinder is designed. But it's a one time task, and once you set your zero point you'll be good to go to start dialing in a grind. Mine has been rock steady. I've been using it for about 5 months and the grind are incredibly consistent and fluffy. Tiny adjustments are all that I've needed to account for different beans and changes in beans between a few days and a couple weeks off roast. That is partly driven by the fact that I've been sticking with some fairly traditional medium-dark roasts since I don't like lighter roasts. (I'm using things like Verve Street Level and Stumptown Hair Bender.)

Good luck, and I think once you do this step, you'll enjoy your grinder.

#10: Post by leonelbego (original poster) replying to DavidGinNYC »

THIS!!! :)

thank you,
Leo