Ceado E37SD chute attachment

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
ufergus

#1: Post by ufergus »

I picked up a Ceado E37SD a few months ago. Lets just say the honeymoon period was a bit of a let down. Most of which, I think, were my unrealistic expectations. But anyway, coming from a Barazta Vario, I historically dosed directly into the portafilter. Prepped the puck and off I went. The work flow with a WDT cup and trying to then transfer those grinds to the portafilter left me quite frustrated. I think some of that early trouble was due to the unseasoned burrs, but I also was not used to that work flow. Trying to directly dose into the portafilter was a bigger fail. With the lack of a flap to aid in low retention and 83mm burrs spinning at 1100 RPM, the grinds sprayed down the chute leaving a unbalanced distribution in the basket. Then having to pull off the rubber chute thing to sweep out the last few grinds, well something had to be done. I set off down the path to design a 3d printable attachment for the chute to 1) allow a direct grind into the portafilter flow, 2) improve the distribution of grinds into the basket and 3) easy access to sweep the chute for stuck grinds. Lets just say I spent more time than I expected and tested many variations of a chute attachment. As a result I have a couple of options for anyone who is interested. I have found this attachment has greatly improved my opinion of the grinder. My old work flow is back and I feel like I can relax and enjoy the process again. Now how much of this is also due to several months of coffee seasoning the burrs? I don't know...

My attachment comes in two parts, the first is a chute that attaches to the underside of the built-in chute. And a lid that sits on top. The chute helps funnel the grinds into a smaller exit hole to create a more homogenous flow. The lid redirects the grinds into the basket and is easily removable to aid in chute sweeping. Here is a snapshot from my design tool. Note the model is rotated 45 degrees compared to the installation position. I have posted the design files to thingiverse and they are available at the link below. Some pictures of an earlier configuration on my grinder are available in another post, also linked to below.

Hopefully someone will find this useful. If you don't have access to a 3d printer PM me and I can point you in the direction of some available services.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4872760

Ceado Spout Attachment

rich

ufergus (original poster)

#2: Post by ufergus (original poster) »

I just posted a third variation of the chute and lid to Thingiverse. Version 3 has a couple improvements. First, it now extends a little further out and down to enable a better distribution into the far side of the basket. And second, the inside of the lid is now cycloid shaped to redirect the coffee with as little compaction as possible. The clearance with the Ceado basket funnel is pretty tight but I was able to get my portafilter underneath without too much trouble. Here is a profile image to show the changes.

rich

ufergus (original poster)

#3: Post by ufergus (original poster) »

Here is an updated picture with it attached to the grinder.

rich