Brew lever and pump button trouble after cam lubrication

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
danp

#1: Post by danp »

I've had a Profitec 600 for a couple months and have done a couple detergent backflushes. Realize now I should probably minimize those.

After the most recent one, though, my brew lever got stiff and never quite loosened up again even after pulling some shots. I acquired some Molykote 111 and followed a combination of guides (https://support.clivecoffee.com/e61-cam ... brew-lever, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CajVhArzDNY, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI5-5P-jzqs) and think I got everything back together properly.

The lever is still rough, though, and making different contact with the pump button. At first, the pump was coming on when I went from down to the neutral position. Then some fiddling got it so that didn't happen but instead the pump stayed on going from up to the neutral position.

Are there any obvious things I would have missed to cause this? I understand the button can probably be adjusted but it was working fine before and the lever is still not smooth. I can follow up with pictures/videos tomorrow when I get back to it.

Thanks!

tinman143

#2: Post by tinman143 »

Dumb question but are you sure you reinstalled the lever back into the GH correctly? If yes how about checking the switch mechanism itself? Odd to have issues this early on.

nahau

#3: Post by nahau »

Well, unless you really messed something up during reinstallation, I can't imagine the lever could "move closer" to the brew switch. It could be the brew switch has "relaxed" now and is engaging at a different place. Some manufactures install those switches really close and don't leave adequate space. Shouldn't be like that but it is what it is. If the lever loosens up as you use it, and you don't notice any problems with operation, then simply move the switch back a little.

Here's the distance of my brew switch from the lever on my Andreja... down, midway, brew. You can still see a small space in midway position.

JRising
Team HB

#4: Post by JRising »

For the sake of ruling out the switch...
Hold the switch away from the cam, with a butter knife or something, just hold it pressed back so the cam isn't in contact with it.
Now when you operate the lever is it still crunchy, or is it smooth? If crunchy, polish and relube the cam-riders on the Preinfuse and brew valves...
If it's not crunchy with the switch removed from the equation, then lube the crap outta the switch, it'll be dead soon but let's make it last until a proper limit switch with a roller arrives. If you pop the black button off you can get a silicone type lubricant onto the part of the switch that passes through the body to the little microswitch inside. Lube it up, put the black plastic on and make it endure until a new one arrives.