Breville Oracle- replaced o-rings, still overheating

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Espresso-norm

#1: Post by Espresso-norm »

Hi all - so I have a Breville BES980XL Oracle that was overheating - it would run up to 225-228 degrees and shut off. It definitely had leaking o-rings in steaming boiler - steam was actually hissing out Replaced all the o-rings on top of boilers - now no hissing stream. But unit still runs up to 225-228 and shuts off. The overheating occurs with the top of the machine open and control board no where near any potential steam sources. And yes, Control board is dried out - the machine has been open for 1 week and I had a fan on the board for 2 days.

So I am wondering about next steps.

Open the control board and see if there is anything obvious?

Are there any other electronics to look at beside the control board - solenoids, relays?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Ultimately I do not really have anything to lose, I do not think I will send it in the Breville - it's a $600 service fee in Canada and not sure the machine is worth that to me.

Espresso-norm (original poster)

#2: Post by Espresso-norm (original poster) »

So I opened up the control box and found a problem - hopefully it's 'THE' problem. See pics.

There are three TRIAC modules on the board which I understand to be a type of relay. The middle one is burnt and crumbling. The red arrow in the picture shows where this TRIAC was before I removed it.

A multimeter shows it to be a closed circuit so it has failed closed which hopefully explains why the steam boiler runaway heats.

Now I just have to figure out how (and where) to find the right TRIAC.

ira
Team HB

#3: Post by ira »

It's a Q6015L6, just search for that and you'll find lots of information. You might need to choose one with similar specs as that one seems hard to come by.

Edit, fixed my search and found this:

https://www.jameco.com/z/Q6015L5-Teccor ... 60231.html But you'd best check it will work.

Espresso-norm (original poster)

#4: Post by Espresso-norm (original poster) »

Thought i would run the machine without the bad TRIAC to see if I could figure out what this TRIAC does. Here's what happened.

Turned machine on. Machine display went up to 200 degrees - Steam boiler hot, brew boiler cool. After the machine hit 200 the display panel went to 100 degrees and stayed there. Then steam started pouring out of drip tray area. Turned machine off and unplugged.

I figure the steam boiler heating element is working as normal. And that the TRIAC controls the brew boiler heating element. The display must show temperature for the steam boiler until 200 degrees then switch over to the brew boiler - hence the display change from 200 degrees to 100 degrees. Not sure about the steam pouring out of the drip tray area, hopefully not another problem.

I found a couple of sources in Canada for the TRIAC i need so, ordering that and install is next. (Thanks to IRA for pointing out which number on the TRIAC I needed to reference.)