Breville Dual Boiler Steam Boiler Port Repair, Lower Side Wall - Page 3

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
eethon

#21: Post by eethon »

Sage were out of stock for the last few months somI ended up using a Delonghi specific hose. seems to be ok

matas

#22: Post by matas »

Thank you for a tip about solenoid valve! It was a great idea.

But I still failed to remove calcified end of the tube from the boiler. :(

Here is how it looked before I attacked it.

I put some vinegar there, waited, put some time. Put some more vinegar, waited some more more, wiggled the tube all directions I could, tried to heat the seat a bit with portable soldering iron (not sure if it was effective), was pulling it different directions again... Put some food grade penetrating oil, waited, waited, waited... Nothing really helped.
I can see my tube is a bit thinner at the base now so I was concerned about breaking it.
I gave up and put the pin back.

I powered up the machine, let it heat and reach the steam pressure - no obvious leak from that side port for now.

Is there any other idea to try without removing the boiler?

ryry

#23: Post by ryry »

It sounds like your attempts were reasonable. If you really want it out without damaging the tube I think you were probably on the right path with vinegar, wiggle (in/out/all direction), wait, wiggle, heat cycle, repeat. Eventually it should come out. Any update?

RKaw

#24: Post by RKaw »

Newbie espresso enthusiast ...First time post.

I found this excellent thread while researching the root cause of my 3 year old Breville Oracle Touch BES990 tripping the GFCI outlet where it has been connected for last 2 years. It seems to be a common enough problem with BDBs.I was able to find lots of posts about leaks causing a short cirtcuit tripping the GFCI, however, with the exception of folks on this thread, there aren't a lot of posts/ folks that have attempted this repair.

Because of the difficult access situation with this side inlet port, I actually tested /triggerred the trip condition to be sure that it was this inlet that was causing the problem before I even attempted this complicated repair.

With the machine top cover removed, I manually frothed/steamed mulitple cups of water until a small droplet of water appeared at the inlet and dropped right on top of something that looks like a temp sensor located right below the inlet. The machine instantly tripped the GFCI. I had verified my root cause ! So far so good !!

Following instructions posted by Geoff and Barista Bob on this thread I was able to finally remove the steam tube, but the 007 size o-rings that I had picked up from eBay were too thick to fit into the inlet port. 007 size was recommened on multiple threads on HB forums. After a bit more searching I found another post on HB that had actual O-ring part numbers listed from Grainger, which I have ordered today.

O-ring, Dash 006, Silicone, 0.07 In., Pk100 Item # 1REC1
https://www.grainger.com/product/1REC1? ... id=NA:Item

O-ring, Dash 010, Silicone, 0.07 In., Pk100 Item # 1REC5
https://www.grainger.com/product/1REC5? ... id=NA:Item

I would be grateful if anyone that has done this repair can share the part numbers for the o-rings that they used. Can anyone tell if these o-rings would work for the side port inlet on BES990 ?

thanks

- Rakesh

luvmy40

#25: Post by luvmy40 »

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

These are th o-rings I use for the steanm/water line connections.

lancealot

#26: Post by lancealot »

I powered up the machine, let it heat and reach the steam pressure - no obvious leak from that side port for now.

Is there any other idea to try without removing the boiler?
Let sleeping dogs lie.

BaristaBob

#27: Post by BaristaBob »

RKaw wrote:Newbie espresso enthusiast ...First time post.

I found this excellent thread while researching the root cause of my 3 year old Breville Oracle Touch BES990 tripping the GFCI outlet where it has been connected for last 2 years. It seems to be a common enough problem with BDBs.I was able to find lots of posts about leaks causing a short cirtcuit tripping the GFCI, however, with the exception of folks on this thread, there aren't a lot of posts/ folks that have attempted this repair.

Because of the difficult access situation with this side inlet port, I actually tested /triggerred the trip condition to be sure that it was this inlet that was causing the problem before I even attempted this complicated repair.

With the machine top cover removed, I manually frothed/steamed mulitple cups of water until a small droplet of water appeared at the inlet and dropped right on top of something that looks like a temp sensor located right below the inlet. The machine instantly tripped the GFCI. I had verified my root cause ! So far so good !!

Following instructions posted by Geoff and Barista Bob on this thread I was able to finally remove the steam tube, but the 007 size o-rings that I had picked up from eBay were too thick to fit into the inlet port. 007 size was recommened on multiple threads on HB forums. After a bit more searching I found another post on HB that had actual O-ring part numbers listed from Grainger, which I have ordered today.

O-ring, Dash 006, Silicone, 0.07 In., Pk100 Item # 1REC1
https://www.grainger.com/product/1REC1? ... id=NA:Item

O-ring, Dash 010, Silicone, 0.07 In., Pk100 Item # 1REC5
https://www.grainger.com/product/1REC5? ... id=NA:Item

I would be grateful if anyone that has done this repair can share the part numbers for the o-rings that they used. Can anyone tell if these o-rings would work for the side port inlet on BES990 ?

thanks

- Rakesh
Those are the ones...I ordered these from Granger as well but in AFLAS material. They are a little harder to seat but if you spread a little food grade silicone lube on the o-ring it go in nice and easy. AFLAS o-rings last a life time, at least I have never needed to re-replace the AFLAS ones and some are over four years old and counting. All my oem silicone o-rings have been replaced on my 6+ year old machine.
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

RKaw

#28: Post by RKaw »

@Barista Bob.
Do you recall if this is the O-ring type and size that you ordered from Grainger ?
www.grainger.com/product/GRAINGER-APPRO ... 007-60YK77

@luvmy40. Thanks for the tip. I have ordered the ones that you suggested from Amazon, just in case the ones that I have already ordered from Grainer don't work

Thank you for all for the prompt responses. Appreciate your help.

Rakesh