Breville Dual Boiler Rebuild - Page 2

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
grufromtheloo (original poster)

#11: Post by grufromtheloo (original poster) »

dinsdale wrote:I had the same problem with a stuck pipe in the steam boiler. After anti-scale, anti-rust and heat didn't help I pulled the teflon pipe out (which means the flared fitting is probably in the boiler) and then used an easy-out to remove the brass fitting.
I also had a problem with a leaky drain valve. The smaller O ring was damaged.
Great response! Thank you! I was wondering about just yanking until the tubing let go. Is the flare/tube connector setup here on the BDB something standard or off the shelf? I have been wondering about replacing lines at some point.

Also, thanks for the shot of the drain valves! I didn't even think of checking for that smaller o-ring on screw side. Did you replace with silicone, aflas, viton, other?

dinsdale

#12: Post by dinsdale replying to grufromtheloo »

The tubing appears to be standard teflon tubing - 4mm outer diameter, 2.5mm inner diameter. I haven't yet found a source for the flared metal end fittings although I only started looking today. As Breville refuse to sell spare parts in the UK I have to order spares from Australia so I try and find equivalent parts first.

I have been using Viton O rings for all replacements with no problems so far - I live in London which has hard water so I have replaced nearly all of the smaller O rings.

Advertisement

#13: Post by grufromtheloo (original poster) »

Thanks for info!

mgwolf
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by mgwolf »

Brian, interesting project. Hope you didn't pay more than a few bucks for this beautiful machine.

#15: Post by grufromtheloo (original poster) replying to mgwolf »

I did pay slightly more than I wanted. I knew the steam boiler was offline and the wand was dripping. Figured it was a descale gone wrong with a leaky wand... all common things. I wasn't prepared for the atrocities inside the machine. :) That said, if I can get it back up and running should be able to get at least double what I paid. Probably a little more. Worse case, I part it out and re-coup some $$$.

DaveB

#16: Post by DaveB »

grufromtheloo wrote:I wasn't prepared for the atrocities inside the machine. :) That said, if I can get it back up and running should be able to get at least double what I paid. Probably a little more. Worse case, I part it out and re-coup some $$$.
I have to give you props for your dedication and resourcefulness. I'm enjoying your updates. This thread serves as a reminder to pop the cover to inspect any used machine prior to purchase - including shiny chrome boxes. This would have been a hard pass at any price. And if anyone refused to let me have a look inside I wouldn't walk away. I would run! :D

Cheers and good luck!
Von meinem iPhone gesendet

lancealot

#17: Post by lancealot »

Brian, I wanted to drop in and give you kudos for this undertaking and for being so kind as to document the process for us. I really appreciate your work.

Advertisement

#18: Post by grufromtheloo (original poster) replying to lancealot »

Thanks it's appreciated! There are some procedures for the BDB that are _really_ well documented on these forums. Others not so much. For instance I had never seen someone layout how to remove the steam boiler. My hope is that by performing a near complete rebuild 1) We as a community can gain some knowledge 2) we make the BDB a little more approachable for folks concerned about "Breville Specific Parts" and "consumer quality" and 3) we can foster others to contribute documentation on the forums.

Florin911

#19: Post by Florin911 »

Great Job !
That's a lot of work.
Thanks for all your job progress updates !

#20: Post by grufromtheloo (original poster) »

Update. Finished painting the boiler housing and steam valve mount. Next; rebuild once I find some parts (screws, hose clamps, heat resistant wire, some form of metal band for the steam boiler fuse). For the paint job used rustoleum high heat and 1/4" stickers to preserve grounding through the screw/mount holes.