Breville Dual Boiler - Leaking Group Head Collar

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
chubbyone

#1: Post by chubbyone »

Hi Folks!

Been lurking, but finally pulled the trigger on registering my account.

I have a fairly common issue with my BDB 900XL and am not having any luck in sourcing a replacement Group Head Collar (The plastic fitting that locks in the PF, not the silicone gasket above it). Does anyone know where else I may look? I am in the US but will gladly pay international shipping if anyone has a lead.

Alternatively, maybe you have a spare laying around? PM me!

Thanks in advance.

-Shane

PS. Backordered here: https://www.ereplacementparts.com/colla ... 10640.html

dvhart

#2: Post by dvhart »

I'm in the same boat. I'm wondering if I can use one of the 900 or 920 XL Group Head Collar Service Kits, which include the Group Collar (metal housing), the new two part collar insert, and a new PF (https://www.forumappliances.com/brevill ... al-order/). I have found one with a part number which would seem to match the 980XL, but can't confirm from the available that it will do what I need (https://www.needapart.co.nz/buy-online/ ... 5-10135415). Interestingly, this latter site suggests the BES98085 kit works on the BES920 - so perhaps the 920 kit would work on the 980? Hrm.

I first attempted to repair the collar insert with JB Weld:

But it separated under pressure. I'm going to call Breville tomorrow and see if I can convince them to send me this $4 part, and ask about the retrofit kits using the 2-piece collar insert on the 980XL. Alternatively, I'm considering fixing this one again, and sending it off to a casting service and making 1000 of them and selling them on ebay for $50 for all of out there Breville is leaving behind!

chubbyone (original poster)

#3: Post by chubbyone (original poster) »

dvhart wrote:I'm in the same boat. I'm wondering if I can use one of the 900 or 920 XL Group Head Collar Service Kits, which include the Group Collar (metal housing), the new two part collar insert, and a new PF (https://www.forumappliances.com/brevill ... al-order/). I have found one with a part number which would seem to match the 980XL, but can't confirm from the available that it will do what I need (https://www.needapart.co.nz/buy-online/ ... 5-10135415). Interestingly, this latter site suggests the BES98085 kit works on the BES920 - so perhaps the 920 kit would work on the 980? Hrm.

I first attempted to repair the collar insert with JB Weld:
<image>

But it separated under pressure. I'm going to call Breville tomorrow and see if I can convince them to send me this $4 part, and ask about the retrofit kits using the 2-piece collar insert on the 980XL. Alternatively, I'm considering fixing this one again, and sending it off to a casting service and making 1000 of them and selling them on ebay for $50 for all of out there Breville is leaving behind!
Thanks for the reply! You have tried harder than me to fix it so far for sure. I am just sopping up the drips while the shot pulls to keep the water out of the finished product. Its sufficient for my iced mochas, but not so good trying to pull a straight shot.

I got in touch with Breville yesterday, this time I got a completely different answer than anyone in house has given me before. The nice lady informed me that the link I posted above, ereplacementparts.com was the only place for the consumer to get them. She said that Breville does supply them exclusively with this part, and that a container was expected to make landfall on the west coast by the end of this month, with product being allocated to ereplacemntparts when it does. So, best bet is to place an order with them, and wait (hopefully the wait is only a couple weeks). I'm going to order 2-3 (obviously that's the smarter play!) Good luck to you and anyone else in this boat!

#4: Post by chubbyone (original poster) »

Having said all that^^

I just followed my link above and it now states that it is discontinued. :evil:

Edit: Just got off the phone with ereplacementparts. The rep said she believes that status to be in error, and that she sent a "high priority" message to their purchasing department so that expected quantities and times could be updated. Being a holiday week, she said to check back about this time next week.

I'll keep this updated.

#5: Post by chubbyone (original poster) »

3 collars ordered. No ETA but at least they are "orderable" again.

dvhart

#6: Post by dvhart »

I thought I'd try the same - order 2 of the old style collar inserts. After several weeks, they just arrived today - and ereplacement parts sent me the new two piece style instead of the one piece which I ordered. The invoice even helpfully says "SP0009141 replaces SP0001815". Yeah. No. It would, if I could actually acquire the new style group head collar casting, but it is specifically not made available by Breville. I have an inquiry out on a quote for this kit:

https://www.needapart.co.nz/buy-online/ ... 5-10135415

But I'm not optimistic since it says it works on the 920 and the 980, and unfortunately, the boiler lug castings are in different places on the two models.

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH :-)

#7: Post by chubbyone (original poster) »

My 3 collars that won't fit arrived today.... :cry:

dvhart

#8: Post by dvhart »

I tried again with liquid epoxy, and it still deformed and broke apart under pressure. I'm looking at having it made out of aluminum or bronze, but the redsand cast using the original for the mold would experience some shrinkage - 5/32 per foot for aluminum and be a minimum of $100. I'm now trying to decide if I care enough to take it apart again so I can take some measurements, model it in CAD, and ask a friend to mill one for me with their CNC machine. Or if I pay Breville the $500 to replace the group head with the new model. Hrm. Turning into a lot of work for a "free" espresso machine for rme :-)

dvhart

#9: Post by dvhart »

chubbyone wrote:My 3 collars that won't fit arrived today.... :cry:
ereplacement parts issued me an RMA and a full refund, just FYI.

dvhart

#10: Post by dvhart »

OK, I've given up on Breville supplying a replacement part. Maybe they'll make the group head service kit available at some point in the future (seems you can get some places to provide a quote for it for $190 USD). In the mean time, I am attempting to create a printable replacement part. I've only just started the model and it's my first one. But I'm making it publicly available:

https://github.com/dvhart/scad-models/b ... t-gen1.stl

I've received one example print, and to my surprise, it actually worked (print: left, original: right):

I don't know how long it will work, 3D printing materials vary considerably in heat resistance, friction, durability, deformation, etc. The idea is to iterate on the model until it's a reliably good fit, and then experiment with materials. Once I have a known good model and reasonably performant material, I'll report back with that info. Shapeways.com can print this model today for $10-$70 depending on the material in case anyone wants to help develop the model (but please understand it is still under development).