Breville Dual Boiler - Leaking Group Head Collar - Page 5

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
tony-k

#41: Post by tony-k »

i have an older bes900xl/b.

my group-head-collar-insert wore out too.

i ordered a replacement from ereplacement parts which specified compatibility with the bes920xl,
but i read somewhere that the bes900xl/b had some compatibility with the 920 model,
so i ordered the part: https://www.ereplacementparts.com/colla ... 10640.html
(sadly, they still show a one piece part in the image):

it was on backorder for a couple of months, but when i finally received it,
it was a two-piece part vs the one piece part that i pulled from my machine:

i'm thinking this entire group-head-kit could at about 100 could be a decent option:

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/group ... 39503.html

over the 350 send-to-breville option...

unless anyone

(a) knows where to get the old one-piece 03.7 collar-insert or
(b) has had good luck with the 3d printer route

pcrussell50

#42: Post by pcrussell50 »

This is interesting information...

I was under the impression that -920 uses the same group as the -900/B. Certainly, the -920 uses the same portafilter with the notch in the handle as the -900/B.

The only other change I was aware of is, more recently the -920 group has four screws around it's lips, facing downward where you don't usually look, that make it easier to change the group collar. Exactly when the group collar went from one-piece to two-piece, I can't be certain but it seems logical that it would have been with either the rollout of the -900/B/-920 group, or much later into 2017 when they modified the group so you could remove the lips and change the collar from the outside.

Are you sure the two piece collar won't work on your /B group? Because if it doesn't, I'm going to guess it won't work on any -920s except the ones with the removable lips.

If it's anything to you, if the one piece part is old and NLA, and requires the partial disassembly of the group from the inside, that they would consider it "not repairable" and send you a -920. And if recent history is any guide, you might well end up with a brand new one.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

kwantran

#43: Post by kwantran »

I have a BES920XL. I ordered my replacement group head collar a few months back and just finally got them in...

Unfortunately, I think they sent me the wrong part. There's no way I can get these to lock or stay flush in place. :(

markba633csi

#44: Post by markba633csi »

This one part is what put me off from buying a BDB. If they had only made it a metal die-cast part.
That, and Breville's service and parts policy- not encouraging. What were they thinking?
Mark

pcrussell50

#45: Post by pcrussell50 replying to markba633csi »

Playing cat and mouse with parts is the "game" in BDB ownership. If you want $7500 temperature stability for $1300, something has to give. The good news is, most of the wear parts are either always available or you can hoard them when you can.

As for group collars in particular:
1) I've never worn one out including a six year stretch with the same machine. Probably because I torque my portafilter in the bare minimum

2) I think you can get a whole group assembly for about $100 and swap it in. Buy the new/current one and you can use the new, two part collar inserts. And with the current design, the collar inserts are super easy to change. Big improvement.

I have the current group on my latest BDB, and I hogged up two extra sets of group collars. That combined with the fact that I use the minimum lock-in torque, and I bet I'm set for a very long time.

This is how I play "the game" and get away with $7500 performance for a fraction of the cost. It's a game. Learning how to play it bears much fruit.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

mick777

#46: Post by mick777 »

Here's the part number for the service kit: BES920/85 - $170.09 Straight from Breville.
I am also being sent a collar separately but await to see if the correct one arrives despite having articulated the fact the newer machines have different collars. Fingers crossed.

mick777

#47: Post by mick777 »

Oops....just realised this is an American blog, but given the machines are widely sold in both our countries nevertheless appropriate.
Russell - great post. I agree and I have also learnt the lesson about not tightening up the portafilter too tightly as well. Add to that NOT overfilling the thing coffee and creating even more tension.
I wore out the first collar in a bit over 4 years and then sat in disbelief that I could not get the $5 part to fix the damned machine myself. Easily done with uTube! I entered into a long email war with the Breville contact who eventually relented after talking to the National Service Manager. Have been promised the CORRECT stand alone collar but will see shortly if, despite my detailed description of the differences between new and old BES 920 machines, the correct part arrives. Fingers crossed on that one.
Your assertion about the the quality of these machines is spot on. They are chucking out the old models here at present and I bought a new (second) machine for about US$480. Not sure if you guys from the 'Land of the (not) Free' are being given the same deal. Hopefully yes.

Hope my post above with the appropriate part number helps. If you can't get it in the US maybe you can get direct from Breville Spare Parts.

pcrussell50

#48: Post by pcrussell50 »

Mick, completely off topic here, but I am heading to Sydney tonight (from Los Angeles), to play a cricket tournament. One of my old school mates team is short a seamer for this tournament. How could I say, "no"? I'll be representing Victoria. (Not automatically assuming you're a cricket fan.)

-Peter
LMWDP #553

mick777

#49: Post by mick777 »

Only when I need to fall to sleep Peter. :D
Cricket not my game but put me on a set of skis and I'll show the Yanks how its done. :wink:
Good luck with the game. Australia is doing pretty poorly in the cricket and a victory of any sort would be greatly appreciated....even if at shield level.

mick777

#50: Post by mick777 »

Latest update: apologies for hogging the site but I just managed to get my hands on a second hand collar. Still waiting for the new one from Breville. Either way I'm home with this one. I may have a spare available for any desperadoes. :)