Breville Dual Boiler - Internal moisture and now won't turn on

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Roasty
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by Roasty »

Hi All-

Over the course of the last few months, my Breville Dual Boiler has had some issues and now it just won't turn on. Here is the order of symptoms:

1. Started leaking water from the back, originally thought it was an overfilled water tank.
2. Steam started coming from the top part of the machine when heated up.
3. The Machine would occasionally heat up all the way to 226F despite being set to 204F and would never exit heat up mode until unplugged. I didn't think it was possible for it to heat up this much.
4. Display screen started accumulating moisture until it was pretty much unreadable
5. Stopped turning on all together.

I cracked it open and am finding pockets of moisture and pooled water, but all connections look fine and secure. Does anyone have suggestions from here?

Smo

#2: Post by Smo »

The coffee machine needs to be repaired when the first problems appear.
You are describing a slow agony.
When the machine is running, it is easier to detect water leaks.
And when the electronics are out of order, everything becomes much more complicated.

Roasty (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Roasty (original poster) replying to Smo »

Fair. I have my excuses I could make, but I'm more interested in a solution at this point.

With the shaming out of the way, any advice, even if its "Throw it out"?

luvmy40

#4: Post by luvmy40 »

Let it sit open and dry out for a week or so. Then see if it will power up and start looking for leaks. I'd say probably every o-ring in the steam circuit will need replaced.

Is this a 900 or a 920? If it won't power up and it's a 920, you can send it back to Breville for a flat rate service fee of $400.00(unless that has changed recently). If it's a 900 model you are pretty much out of luck.

BodieZoffa

#5: Post by BodieZoffa »

Roasty wrote:Fair. I have my excuses I could make, but I'm more interested in a solution at this point.

With the shaming out of the way, any advice, even if its "Throw it out"?
I'm a fan of repairing/maximizing what you have, but that build quality clearly speaks for itself. How those things are still bought/recommended is beyond me.

smwatson82

#6: Post by smwatson82 »

Agree with what luvmy40 said.

While you're waiting a couple for it to dry out, order some O-rings, because (whether they're the source of your problem or not) some are undoubtedly leaking.

One of these two ought to do you:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0053 ... UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F ... UTF8&psc=1

Price/quality are your tradeoff there, the various virtues of the more expensive set are extolled elsewhere on the forum.

Once you have O-rings in-hand, turn your machine on with the lid off, and start watching the show. You'll likely be able to quickly identify multiple leaks. The machine works just fine with the lid off, though obviously you kinda have to prop it up, as the lid will be connection by a bundle of wires still.

With the amount of water in those photos, the main leaks will be visually apparent, and fixable (likely) with new O-rings. If you hear other leaks but can't visually identify them, use a metal spoon and hold it near suspected leak points - if you have a leak there, you'll see steam fog up the spoon. Most of the O-rings are .007 size, as linked, but IIRC, some of the others are .010 size, cross-check https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0053 ... UTF8&psc=1 with another post.

Zero shaming intended, but slightly uncertain if your electronics will work long-term given the moisture exposure they've had, but the gaskets are cheap enough to buy as a first step, so long as you're willing to invest the time.