Breville Dual Boiler coffee boiler leak on water level probe

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
blunderer

#1: Post by blunderer »

Hi HB community,

First if all, I want to thank you so for the amazing knowledge base, it allowed me to keep my espresso machine trimming for the past 2 years.

I am now having one new issue for which I am at an impasse: one of the water level probe (blue wire connector) of the coffee boiler is leaking real bad as soon as the temperature goes up. I already changed several o-rings, and I am familiar with the process, but my issue comes from my inability to remove the probe.

I unplugged the connector, I remove the clip, and I can turn the probe 360 degrees, move it up 1 or 2mm but then it blocks. I tried pulling with pliers, twisting, but nothing seems to work.

Any tips on how to take it off so that I can replace the o-ring?

Thanks

luvmy40

#2: Post by luvmy40 »

You could try dripping some white viegar onto the fitting to loosen up any scale build up. You are, likely going to crack the ceramic insulator getting it out. here's a link to the probes with new o-rings from Out West Coffee.

https://outwestcoffee.com.au/index.php/ ... -included/

I'd also look for signs of scale deposits elswhere and consider using a non scaling water from now on.

DO NOT RUN THE DE-SCALE PROGRAM!!!! It WILL frag your machine. Descal manually if you need to.

blunderer (original poster)

#3: Post by blunderer (original poster) »

Thanks for the advice.

I have this a try, to but without any success.

As I mentioned, the probe turns 360° and goes up/down a few millimeters, do it is not stuck to the boiler by scale (but the scale might create a ring around the probe making it larger than the hole.

I will now try to fill the whole boiler with white vinegar using one of the other holes and see if it helps.

Thanks

ryanb

#4: Post by ryanb »

Hi there,

I also had the problem where there was a good bit of water spirting from the top of one of these probes on the steam boiler. I read on another thread some folks have used 100% silicone glue/caulk to sort of encapsulate the top of that leaky probe, and evidently if done well/if you're lucky to get it to adhere, it can stop the water escaping.

I tried this and it did actually seem to stop the leaking -- but mine wasn't calcified so I was able to remove it and also glue a tiny bit on the inside/underside. This is really not the classiest fix, but if it works for you, hey you win! And the price of a little 100% silicone glue/caulk is small.

If finally that doesn't work, maybe tapping GENTLY around the outside of the probe's steel inlet with a hammer and awl or small screwdriver (NOT on the probe itself anywhere) could just break/loosen the calcification enough to remove that probe, esp in combination with the vinegar bath you're about to undergo?

If all else fails and you mangle the probe during removal, you can reorder them at this website which is what I ended up doing. Half the cost is the shipping, and it also takes some weeks to arrive :/
https://outwestcoffee.com.au/index.php/ ... -included/

Good luck to you and let us know how it goes!
Ryan

#5: Post by blunderer (original poster) »

24h in the vinegar bath, this still doesn't work. I tapped around the clip's hole to also fill the top of the probe with vinegar, refilling every couple of hours.

I already tried the tapping, no success there either.

So you confirm that the probe should just go when not calcified (my main concern was that I might be missing a step and pulling too hard would break something).

luvmy40

#6: Post by luvmy40 »

The only thing that could(Will) break is the ceramic insulator sleeve. Is it leaking from where the steel stem exist the insulator or from the o-ring seal?

#7: Post by blunderer (original poster) »

The leak was from the sides (o-ring).

I finally managed to take the probe out by pulling real hard and twisting the probe left and right.
The ceramic casing on the inside broke and feel inside the boiler. Looking up with a flashlight, I can see it at the bottom asking with a large amount of scale (so much it would take weeks for the vinegar to help).

The probe itself looks ok, so I used a new o-ring (i abbreviate stacked 2 on top of each other) and put it back in place. I rinsed the boiler with water before testing the machine: no more leaks! The pump stops when the boiler is full, which confirmed the probe works, no need to buy a new one.

I guess I can leave with the small piece inside the boiler until it decides to block the egress of the water, and if it does I'll try to break it into pieces with a screw driver and take it out pushing it to the bottom socket.

Thanks for all the recommendations!

matas

#8: Post by matas »

I was about to replace o-ring in two probes in brew boiler. Lucky I was able to replaced the leaking one.

But with the other one I faced the same issue - I am not able to pull it out.
I can spin it freely 360 degrees, I can pull it up 3 millimetres or so. I pulled it really hard and wiggled - nope.
This is the highest point I can get up to.

I tried to heat up the machine and tried to pull it when it was still hot but that didn't help too.

I was afraid of breaking it and gave up. I put it back for now. Surprisingly it is still not leaking after my abuse. :D

I haven't tried to use vinegar. My firs probe didn't shoe any signs of calcification.

Could you tell me please if your probe was actually calcified?

Also as you can see my probes looks like clear plastic one... I saw this type of probes as spares for Breville Oracle...
I don't see any ceramic there... My guess the plastic bottom part changed the shape because of the temperature and now the bottom of the probe is wider.

luvmy40

#9: Post by luvmy40 » replying to matas »

In my case, there was no calcification at all. I did not have any problem removing the probes, or replacing them. It has since been noted that there are replaceable o-rings in bottom of the probe insulators. Finding a suitible replacement may not be easy.

ryry

#10: Post by ryry » replying to luvmy40 »

This may be the problem I'm having. Did you come to a solution? Breville Dual Boiler Mods and Maintenance