Breville Dual Boiler BES920 sometimes not reaching temperature

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Warpedbread

#1: Post by Warpedbread »

Hi, I'm having an issue where the machine doesn't reach the set temperature. It is an intermittent problem which seems to only occur after the machine has been used recently. The machine seems to work perfectly when I first use it in the morning. But when my wife tries to use it half an hour later it only reaches 63°C and won't climb higher. The steam wand works fine but I can't draw any water from the main boiler until the temperature reaches 93°C. I've recently replaced all of the O-rings and there are no funny sounds. The problem seems to fix itself if left off for a few hours. Any ideas as to what might be causing this? I'd greatly appreciate any help!

WWWired

#2: Post by WWWired »

Hi Warpedbread :)

Have you checked the fault/error logs? This will be a good starting point to narrow this fault :) Also, how often do you descale your BES920?

To access your BES920XL Error/Fault Log:
  1. Using the Control Panel, shut the machine off;
  2. Hold the single and double shot/cup buttons together (at the same time) for 5 seconds and then turn your BES920 on again;
  3. When the Service Menu appears, press "menu button" and this will display your BES920's shot counter (divided by 10)
  4. Then you can press the menu key again and that will let you view/scroll through the fault/error log in ascending order from 00 to 12
Here's what the various "fault" (not LCD "err#") codes mean on the BES900 and BES920 models:
00 ... Steam Boiler NTC open Error ........... (shows up as "err1")
01 ... Steam Boiler NTC short Error ........... (shows up as "err1")
02 ... Coffee Boiler NTC open Error ........... (shows up as "err2")
03 ... Coffee Boiler NTC short Error ........... (shows up as "err2")
04 ... Grouphead NTC open Error .............. (shows up as "err3")
05 ... Grouphead NTC short Error ............. (shows up as "err3")
06 ... No Water In Steam Boiler
07 ... Water over-flow condition in Steam Boiler
08 ... Coffee Water Flow Failure
09 ... No water in Coffee Boiler detected at Boot Up
10 ... Coffee NTC Sensor Over Temperature
11 ... Steam NTC Sensor Over Temperature
12 ... Grouphead NTC Sensor Over Temperature

Mark down the ones that show anything other than a 00 after the first two digits and colon. So for example, if you have "03:51" displayed when scrolling through the error/fault log, record that number, and report back here what you find for further consideration :) If you check out this video, at about 1 minute 24 seconds it will show how to access the "Service Menu". NOTE: Consider NOT clearing your fault/error log . . . it contains important diagnostic information.

There is also a "Self-check mode" method to check the temperature being registered at various components being recorded at your BES920's Grouphead NTC sensor, Steam Boiler NTC sensor and Coffee Boiler NTC sensor. To enter that Self-check mode visit the same video and at about 3 minutes 32 seconds it will show you how to access that mode.